Rear roof water drainage tubes under soft top

Does anyone know where I can get a long cleaning brush for this specific job where at the back under the soft top vents water is collecting

Here…

https://www.mx5parts.co.uk/hood-drain-cleaning-brush-models-p-3511.html

Which model do you have?

Basically if you lower the hood partially you will see the drain holes from the hood behind the seat belt towers.

Search hood drain holes in Google images = Mazda MX-5 >insert model< for instance mine is an NC or Mk3 and it should bring up pics and locations for these above and where to stick you drain cleaning brush. Remember that you insert it from the top and and withdraw from under the car, do not pull it back up the drain tube as there are baffles inside the lower part which could be dislodged. BTW the Mk3 NC drain are a bit of a fiddle (personal experience) to locate initially as poking down the obvious location it seems to drift into the panelling, you need the knack.

I think you need something like this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Trumpet-Maintenance-Cleaning-Care-Kit-3-Brushes-in-1-Package-I8F5-/263868453853?hash=item3d6fc913dd
cheaper version of the item that mx5parts sell, plenty on ebay with differing delivery times…

Rich.

I’ve got the Mk3.5 PRHT and discovered the drain tubes and grates in the roof compartment when I was treating the rubber seals this week. There was a fair amount of crud on the grates (including a piece of broken clear plastic) so I risked the wrath of SWMBO by using the hoover to remove the crud.

My question now is should I use a cleaning rod to poke down the grate to ensure the lower part of the drainage system is clear ?

Anyone got any views or am I over thinking this ?

Any help please ?

Get yourself a trombone brush, either e-bay, MX5 parts or probably quicker and just as cheap a visit to your local music shop.
All you have done at the moment is remove the visible crud, the initial blockage if there is one could be further down.
For about a fiver you’ll have piece of mind and a brush forever.

P.S. If you are going to Gaydon Sunday MX5PARTS will have them there.

Bear in mind the tube which goes down to under the car is not right behind that plastic grating. Bit of a faff the first time you attempt it. Plenty on old threads and Youtube how to do it. I finish off with slowly pouring water into the plastic tray and dash underneath to make sure it’s running out ok.

[quote=BarnsleyRob] I’ve got the Mk3.5 PRHT and discovered the drain tubes and grates in the roof compartment when I was treating the rubber seals this week. There was a fair amount of crud on the grates (including a piece of broken clear plastic) so I risked the wrath of SWMBO by using the hoover to remove the crud.

My question now is should I use a cleaning rod to poke down the grate to ensure the lower part of the drainage system is clear ? [/quote]

I think that much less water and debris reaches these drains on a PRHT than does on the soft top thus the drains are less likely to get blocked.

I’m not sure if a trombone brush will pass through the plastic grate. The grates look like a lot of work to remove! (You may be able to pass a flexible curtain wire through)

On my PHRT I used an airline to blow mine out and then poured water through the grate and watched it come out below the car.

I used an airline blower gun with an extension a bit like this one: - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BlueSpot-Air-Blow-Gun-Compressed-Air-Line-Duster-Nozzle-Tool-For-Compressor/323643598348?epid=5027897052&hash=item4b5aa9660c:g:qQUAAOSw-elcN3A3

and reduced the pressure in the airline.

Using the same blower gun and still with reduced pressure I also blew out other drains that are found in the main roof rubbers.

Richard.

Thanks all.

It’s actually quite hard to get to the grate on the PRHT as the deck restricts access. Also, the tubes seem to be tied in quite a sharp bend. I’ll arm myself with the brush but, as there wasn’t any water or evidence of sloshing, I’ll keep an eye on it now I know where it all is - I have a knack of making working things break !