Rebuild MK3 alternator

1. My model of MX-5 is: MK3
  2. I’m based near: Chelmsford
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: How to rebuild the alternator

I needed to change the idler pulley and tensioner pulley as they had a lot of play and made a grinding sound when turned by hand, but at the same time I moved the others and they alternator has a high pitched squeak. It was making a squeaking sound on startup but I thought it was the idler or the tensioner. I don’t want to buy a new one because they are expensive.

Does any have instructions on how to rebuild the alternator? I have found instructions, but no part numbers or where to buy them.

Many thanks

Hiya, good call on the idler/tensioner pulleys, often mistaken as terminal engine failure! Regards alternator, I presume it’s just the squeak that concerns you? Output etc OK? Is there not a way to lubricate it?
Anyway, these guys may be of interest to you?

https://www.startermotor-alternator-store.co.uk/mazda-mx5-alternator-518-c.asp

Barrie

It was squeaking on startup, the engine also makes a grinding sound under load and quite loudly on startup. Initially thought It was engine failure, but the horrible grinding sound on startup is not present when the belt is not on. The sound is a lot better now with the two new pulleys and belt, but still present.

New thread here: Engine noise on startup and acceleration

Because I don’t think the alternator is at fault here, still squeaks when you turn it by hand, but nothing else.