Recommended products for engine bay cleaning

1. My model of MX-5 is: NA
  2. I’m based near: Cambridge
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on:

Hi all,

The engine bay on my MK1 is very grubby. It looks like has never been cleaned!

What products are recommended for engine bay cleaning/detailing? Ideally, I would like to use something “safe” that won’t interfere with any electricals in the engine bay.

Please let me know your recommendations!

Cheers,

George

3 Likes

https://www.mazdamenders.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=5749
M-m

Thanks, where can I get some of that product you mention? I’ve done a quick Google search and I cant see it for sale anywhere!

1 Like

Just done a search and came up with this Swarfega SJZ5L Jizer Water Rinsable Parts Degreaser, 5 L & deb SOR4LMP Hand Cleaner Pump, 4L, Orange : Amazon.co.uk: Business, Industry & Science Not the same as Mazda_menders though.
:heart:

2 Likes

Thanks Malc!

1 Like

I picked up this and it works a treat. Getting it moved about into all the nooks and crannies with a soft paint brush removed most all of any engine bay crud as was needed.
Purposely NOT dousing electrical parts and taking reasonable care with a spray bottle to move the suds on after you’ve brush worked them is paramount to not having issues afterwards.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-heavy-duty-degreaser-5ltr/88668

1 Like

Is anyone coming up or passing the glen of Wiganshire that can grab some for him? , and give us a pic of said engine bay that needs attacking.
Used on these also…Build 15 The poorly J LTD needing some magic hands - Mazda-Menders

And this one… Project 16 arrives at Wayne mansion White 1.8 Mk 1,which is for Ashleigh - Mazda-Menders
M-m

2 Likes

Here are a few pictures of the engine bay after a once over with some generic cleaning spray and some rags. As you can see it is in need of a proper cleanup!

Yeah she needs a good deep clean and then just stay on top of her, I could get her looking like brand new.
Pm me for advice buddy.
M-m

Thanks mate, I’m planning on removing the air con at some point so I guess that will be the best time to give her a proper clean when the radiator and airbox are out the way!

1 Like

Hi. I used Autoglym Engine cleaner carefully washed away with water and microfibre cloths. Then used Autoglym Vinyl and Rubber. Made a massive difference in my grubby NC engine bay. Hope that’s helpful for anyone looking for product suggestions.

2 Likes

She looks mint!

Proper good job that - well done!

I’ll have to get some for tarting up some of the rubbers and plastic bits.

1 Like

Looks great! Did you rinse with a low pressure hose or just wet clothes?

1 Like

I think I used the hose sparingly on its mist setting. I was paranoid not to force water into any electrical connections. One thing I did notice afterwards was a slight chirp from the auxiliary belt on cold start ups. Might be unrelated but I could have inadvertently got some of the rubber care product on the belt causing a slight slip. It’s quite slippery stuff! Seems fine now but a tip for anyone else. When I clean it again I will spray the product onto a cloth and apply that way and not spray directly onto bits of the engine bay.

1 Like

For good measure the battery was disconnected too.

The engine bay looks even better now as I’ve fitted a new coolant tank and replaced the missing battery cover.

Another vote for Autoglym Engine & Machine Degreaser and, if used correctly, it goes a long way. Always best to dismantle as much as you feel comfortable with to get in there.

1 Like

Marking Autoglym Engine & Machine Degreaser as the solution as it has so many glowing reviews. I’ll be sure to post an update of my clean engine bay once I’ve had some time to sort it out!