Reduce plastic use

The popular microfiber cloth is manufactured from plastic and sheds microscopic particles during every use. We cannot deny that we contribute to pollution every time we enjoy our MX5’s so let’s avoid the use of microfiber towels and try terry towels instead??
Tony

Did you also know that every time you wash any non-organic clothes you also shed microscopic particles into the environment?

I believe this is likely why you read of some drivers on here saying they drive ‘topless’, presumably since doing so saves the planet :innocent:

There’s also bamboo cloth as an alternative :slight_smile:

We used mutton cloth back when i worked at a main dealers. I still use it now. off a roll.

Thank you Skadgeer; thought I’d be inundated with “put downs” but response is positive…so far. Must post same comment on Club Lotus web site.

I’ve really reached the end of my caring about all this environment cr@p….so I’ll continue to use my lovely microfibre cloths with gay abandon.

3 Likes

I will stick with the microfiber cloths until I find a better alternative to buff the wax off the car.

Terry towels are only good for putting wax on, if you do it manually

I’m all for choosing products that have a lower environmental impact, but in this case a terry towel is not a direct replacement for microfibre towels/cloths used for car cleaning/detailing.

This is particularly true for tasks involving the buffing of surfaces. The terry towel in this case would be too rough and abrasive given its fabric makeup. The structure is often too open and it would also potentially mark the surface being worked on, along with missing the product needing to be ‘picked up’ from the surface. The result is it would still be left on the vehicle surface and the buffing outcome would have failed.

It is, however, more valid for vehicle drying. In fact I do have a waffle fabric towel for vehicle drying that isn’t synthetic and this would be my recommendation if you want an organic option. These are woven differently to a standard terry towel, with the three-dimensional face/texture of waffle making it more absorbent and a useful fabric.

Thank you Wardy5. Three out of four very positive responses. I was looking for a drying towel alterative and will certainly adopt your suggestion

Please dont stop caring for the planet

Any advice for eatcustard?

I try to do my bit for the environment too, I cycle or walk to the local shops to buy my weekly shopping etc.

But when your faced with supermarkets charging you for a plastic bag then selling bottled water you’ve got to think that they’re taking the proverbial.
They should all stop selling water in bottles, we fortunately live in a country that provides water from a tap at a fair price.

Finally we have so many nations sending rockets into space it kinda pales into insignificance telling us to cut down on oil based products and using our cars less.
I wonder if Branson and Musk really think twice about sending well oiled people into space to experience weightlessness.
I very much doubt it.

And don’t forget as your tyres wear down all that rubber has to go somewhere.

microplastic pollution is an interesting one and hadn’t picked up on the use of microfibre cloths before, hmm. One thing I think could maybe prove to have been a step in the wrong direction is the use of recycled plastics to make things such as garden benches, bollards, fake timber sheds etc. The reuse of the plastic seems like a great idea but as these things break down with use are they not going to be shedding plastic microparticles ? There’s a nature reserve near us with a very long walkway made out of what looks like recycled plastic, rather than timber, and every time we walk on it I ponder how much plastic I’m releasing.
Now to go for a drive… :smiley:

Use a BLO AIR-RS Car Dryer

I find a bowl and spoon is ideal, optional bannana slices may be added to taste.

I suppose the idea is weighing the pros and cons of having it all just go to landfill versus having it serve a new purpose. Caravans for example (I presume they still do) had replaced timber frames with a wood like plastic since it doesn’t rot so much.

I’d be lying if I said it didn’t feel like at times we’re being overwhelmed with information. I mean, there was a news article a year or two ago that very young children were now suffering anxiety (to the point of needing therapy or at least some form of counseling) caused by worry about climate change, no doubt caused through over-exposure of information.

I also think that wasting money replacing your existing cloths if they still have some life to them and just popping them into landfill is a bad idea, since either way whether used, in the bin or put on a shelf, they’ll disintegrate with time (just like sills and arches :frowning: ) so I don’t see why you shouldn’t continue using them with gay abandon until it’s time to replace them, and then consider alternatives.

2 Likes

Buy a Lotus as well as an MX-5.

I was told I would get mad cow disease from eating beef on the bone then I was told that eating eggs was bad for me and would do untold damage to my health.
I am 73 and the end is much near for me than some so I use my time more wisely than I used to and worrying over micro fibre cloths is not very high on my list of priorities.
:heart:

2 Likes

Thank you all for your comments both positive and ?neutral.

1 Like