Registering new remote NC

I’ve purchased a (brand new) replacement remote for my NC.  I’ve tried the ‘Registing Keyless entry transmitters’ tutorial on the site with no success.  The method states that after going through the three ‘ignition on/off remove key’ cycles with the drivers door open , then closing  and opening drivers door three times the doors should lock and unlock.  That simply doesn’t happen on my car, so no surprise carrying on with the process fails.  Am I doing something wrong?  Help appreciated.

EDIT: I provided a VIN to the suppliers and have received a Mitsubishi unit matching to original.

JS    

I have gone through the procedure a number of times on different MK3 cars and it worked as advised in the procedure.

Can you check again that the make and model number visible on the surface where the keyblade mates with the remote on the remote side, the make and model number match exactly your original remote markings. It matters not if one is a three button and one is a four button unit but the make and model number of the remote markings match.

I assume the battery has been changed even it is a new one as recently, I have come across batteries that have a plastic coating on them that has to be scraped off.

Thanks Drumtochty, help appreciated.  Yes, replacement is identical Mazda original 4 button Mitsubishi SKE126.01.  Battery is working - the led works fine.  Thing is, I don’t think it’s the remote.  I’ve done the ignition on/off remove key three times stage, but my car does not get into’pairing mode’ after the driver’s door is then closed and opened the three times, when the procedure says the doors will lock and unlock.  They don’t on my car.  Just my luck.  I’m stumped.  Apparently the three ignition cycles should be done with the door open, but I think I’ll try with it closed.

JS

Another half hours fruitless effort trying to get the car to go into pairing mode.  It must be my car.  Not a clue where to go from here. Help…

JS

The interior light does go on and off, I’m wondering about maybe a dirty switch not operating properly on the door shut area. You have not switched the light so it never goes on and off.

Thanks Drumtochty.  After a bit more effort on a ‘Famous Web Search Engine’ I found the suggestion that it was necessary only to switch the ignition on and off three time without removing the key each time. Did that, pressed the door light switch button three times and, suddenly, I could pair the new key.  I now have two working keys.  There’s only one snag.  Now when I lock or unlock the car the indicators don’t flash.  They work fine from the stalk or the hazard switch, but how on earth I’ve achieved this I don’t know!  

JS

Update - sorted!  With all the button pushing I’d pushed the boot release button.  With that open, of course, no indicator lights.  Closed boot - all fine. Phew! 

JS