Registration Plate back cover

1. My model of MX-5 is: NC 2.0 sport
  2. I’m based near: Glasgow
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on:

Swapped out my plates for JDM square plates and im quite happy with the results.
However there is a plastic back board to screw the plate in at the front. My question is can this be removed it seems to be super glued to the car.
I was a little afraid to keep pulling incase it snapped and looked worse.

I can paint it to make it look a bit better but was wondering if it can be removed.

Yes it can be removed, the screws are best accessed via removing or pulling forward the bumper

1 Like

It’s known as a numberplate plinth. I’d expect that it’s riveted on, likely with two aluminium rivets. Normally you would drill into the centre of the rivet and then prise out to remove.

You can you go with a JDM plinth. Out of stock at the moment with Autolink though:

1 Like

Can be removed, I took mine off my NC1 …
It does however reveal several larger holes approximately 1/2" in diameter which new plate may not cover.

1 Like

Looks like this behind :astonished::astonished::astonished:

2 Likes

Are the extra 6 holes for uprated airflow?? :wink:

1 Like

Thanks everyone for the advice. Will look into removing it this weekend and let yous know how it go’s.

I believe there is a company that supply’s 6 small internal gromets to cover and do most colour ways. il try and find. I looked for mine but mine is the phase above and i dont have any mounting holes

Just be aware that its illegal to fit JDM numbers plates to a UK Spec Car.
You are unlikely to get into trouble ! just be aware of it !
My car is a JDM Eunos Roadster and I am allowed to have Square Number plates and the smaller font that is used on motorcycles.

I’m happy to take the risk. If a copper wants to pull me for a slightly off size plate. There’s bigger things to worry about. Run it for last 10 months. And even ran it in screen.