Remote Lock/Unlock

1. My model of MX-5 is: MK3 NC1
  2. I’m based near: Wigan
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on:

Should I be able to lock and unlock the passenger side on my MK3 using the key fob? It works for the drivers side but pressing, oreven double pressing, the lock or unlock button on the fob does nothing for the passenger side.

It’s quite annoying having to lean over and lock/unlock the passenger door everytime someone gets in or out, surely I should be able to do this from the fob?

Yes you should be able to.

Is it a double click on the lock/unlock button on the keyfob to lock/unlock the passenger side? So I assume if this isn’t working then there is an issue with the actuator in the passenger door?

Both doors lock or unlock on the fob, you can’t just unlock the driver’s side. One press of the fob is enough to unlock both.

You mention the actuator in the door, it’s most likely that has failed although first to go is usually the drivers side.
Plenty of posts on this and as I say drivers fail more often, that’s not to say yours is a first.
Apart from something snagging in the door (most likely not) these door actuators can be had on eBay secondhand , drivers side more rare or from the dealer new. They are handed so make sure, if needed, you specify the passenger one.
I fitted a secondhand one on my last NC, driver side.

1 Like

Ok. Well the passenger door definitely does not lock or unlock from the fob regardless of how many presses so it looks like something has broken then!

How did you find the actuator to replace? I know the door card is simple enough to remove but is swapping the actuator and rods a pain to do?

Is it worth just going for a used one as new it’s over £120!

I fitted a secondhand one (eBay purchase) to my last NC, still working great more than 3 years on. It’s always a lottery buying SH parts, just check with the seller on your returns policy should it turn out to be non working.:+1:

Check out Facebook (MX-5 Mk3 parts for sale) there is a seller currently breaking an NC, you need to ask if this part is available.:+1:

How to below…

1 Like

passenger side is easier than drivers side, done both on mine, have a look on youtube at the videos, should be less than 1 hour - good luck, might be worth getting a couple of clips for the door card as well as some will break or already be broken

1 Like