Removal or Pedestrian Safety Bonnet Charges

I’ve never been unlucky enough to have anything broken to not enable me to drive back afterwards. But then again, my car is not a tuned to the max hard core track tool. It is a modified fast road car with selected proven parts that are over engineered.  For example, the last Mk2 was pushing only 6psi boost to make the 210bhp. In turbo terms, 6psi is nothing.

But I did once have to get a flatbed tow in another car but due to human error than failure… Coming back from a track event, i lost oil pressure… stopped immdiately. Check the oil. Next to none. Topped up roadside and noticed pooling underneath.  My sump plug had come out! Human error of not tightening enough the sump plug…  

Thruxton is not too far from us so will probably take it for a spin around there first, lots of run off and nice wide black stuff.

if you doing the 30/04 thruxton event, then may see you there. Most probably be attending too, first time with the 25th anni.

cool, will try and make it to that on be nice to see a 25th again, I only kept mine for 1 year.  Still have the coat and scale model car though :slight_smile:

mate you need 3 ohm Not 30 ??

Just for clarity… is that a 2.7 ohm resistor you are talking about  or a 27 ohm

sorry! It’s a typo, I meant 2.7ohm.

thanks to all that pointed out the error!

Cool that’s ok then 

Okay, an update…

I got the 2.7ohm from maplins and went to make up my fuse bypass. However, the fuse is only showing a resistance of .15 ohm

So making 2.85ohm total.

Is this enough to resistance to fool the ECU?

Only other option, is to buy 3.3ohm and plug in directly without a fuse.

Any advice appreciated!

The 3 ohm figure is only a guess anyway. If you use a 2.7 ohm or 3.3 ohm resistor and a 2 amp fuse the resistor will probably blow before the fuse anyway.

I am assuming that the system works with an explosive charge which has a detonator. When the system triggers 12v will be applied firing the detonator. There must always be a very small current applied to monitor that the detonator is attached. This will not be enough to trigger the sysem.

Rather than using a resistor and fuse I would suggest using a small panel lamp such as a 12v 1.2 watt type. This will give a resistance of around 100 ohms which should still fool the system into thinking it is connected. If the system triggers the bulb will light up.

Nothing to lose by trying it. If the system doesn’t bring up an alarm it works.

As an alternative solution is it possible to just put some black tape over the dashboard indicator and not obscure the other warning lamps? Disconnecting the charges and replacing with resistors or similar could be forgotten when leaving the track. A piece of tape on the dash would be noticable.

Yes it will 

there is no harm in trying anyway no harm will be done ??

For your info 3 ohm wasn’t a guess but you are right that a 2.7 to 3.3 will work I tried a few before coming to the 3 ohm which was around the average resistance 

if you read my original link you would know how I got close in the first place 

by they way a 100 ohm is way out and won’t trick the system , why would you use a bulb anyway when resistors are so cheap and can’t be broken 

Also the fuse is completely un needed 

Cool! I’ll give the 2.7 I’ve got a got tmrw and see what happens.

Just an update, 2.7ohm fitted and all good!

Thanks for all the help!

Great job 

happy thrashing 

can’t wait!!!

This is a sensible thing to do for a track day, last year at Bruntingthorpe I hit a cone, no damage but it popped the nearside inner wings loose and needed a a couple of fasteners to put it back in. My guess this would have triggered these charges and caused untold damage.

For the ND I have tested the resistance and 1.5 ohms is all that is required.

Hi 

ive got to ask how did you test the resistance 

If it’s any consolation, there was a generation of BMW 3 Series (probably the E46; it wasn’t particularly well built) where the airbags could go off if you hit the wrong type of pothole.