Removing a mk1 steering wheel 😊

looking for a youtube vid showing how to remove my steering wheel. :thinking:

the only vids i’ve found so far show removal of the air bag wheel. :disappointed:
thanks

The rubber crash pad should just pop off, I guess by reaching behind

Disconnect battery

Lever out the horn button, and disconnect any spade connectors

Make sure the front wheels are dead straght.

With the horn button removed, you should be able to seea large nut; 17mm nylock I think.

Loosen a few turns, but don’t remove. You may need a breaker bar

With the nut loosened, try and get the wheel off the spline. It might need a rocking action, or some blows from behind to overcome stiction. Otherwise, you might need to invest in a puller. The reason you leave te nut in place is to avoid injury, as the wheel can come loose suddenly.

With the wheel loosened, you can remove the wheel with the attached hub.

If the new wheel is Nardi compatible, you can remove the wheel using just the hex screws. However, these are vey soft and often round.

Fitting a new wheel; you need to make sure the hub fits to the steering column spines properly, and on the straight. You need a torque wrench to tighten the nut correctly.

Some Roadsters have two wires for the horn, others have one, earthing to a ring thats part of the horn button. You may have to do some wiring to make the horn operable.

2 Likes

thank you! :smiley:
this is exactly what i need! :blush:

Usually a 21mm, a wheel could be used for removal if deep enough.

Yeah, I forgot the size

We’re spoiled on this forum. I tried asking on the Ford Focus forum about things to watch out for when replacing a front wing. The answers were along the lines of “You’ll find what you need on YouTube.”
Well, thanks…

All I’d hoped for were a few pointers for things which are difficult, not a step by step, but didn’t even get that. :roll_eyes:

Answers like this one show just how good this forum is to its members.