Removing Algae from Mohair Roof

Hi,

Before everyone refers me to ChrisR’s recommendation for cleaning algae from a mohair roof, I don’t have a garage, driveway or a wet & dry vac. Can someone please recommend a way for me to remove the green algae that is gradually building on the roof of my car. My car is parked in a resident’s car park and I only have a bucket and watering can available to me.

TIA,

Tania

I’ve used in the past a mix of Milton fluid (weak) in water and gently scrub then wash off. Back to baby stuff, a baby shampoo too is gentle on the fabric or look at the Renovo cleaning products. Make sure it’s for mohair not vinyl hoods.
Test on an inconspicuous area first.

2 Likes

Depends how bad the algae is really.

Autoglym do a Mohair cleaning and protection kit (at Halfords
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJIbqTM1T04

On my Mohair hood I just use Johnson’s baby shampoo diluted in a bucket of warm water and a softish nail brush, you could also use a firm sponge (at Halfords) instead. Then rinse off with cold water and allow to dry.

Thank you very much for your reply. I have Milton tablets and baby bath. What do you class as a weak dilution please?

Start with about an egg cup full and see how it goes.

Yes I agree with the above say half bowl of water.

It works a treat I did it a month ago

Jet wash it. Seriously.

When you’ve got it clean (aforementioned baby bath and milton scrubs work well) an application of Fabsil+UV with a new fence brush might help keep it nicer for longer, also darkens the appearance of the roof.

How did this go???

I used to work for the Company who made the better class of fabric roof material and we were looking for a method of renovating the material after long use in dirty conditions. Before the process we used to jet wash the material to remove all the ingrained dirt which prevented the renovation working. Eventually it was found that a jet wash on a medium setting from about 1m distance removed all the rubbish without damaging the material, providing it was not already damaged or had suffered local wear. The whole thing was canned when it was found that to cure the renovating material the whole car needed to go into a paint oven at a temperature which would damage some of the plastics used in the trim. I remember a short video of someone on a ladder with a jet wash cleaning a Mercedes convertible top.

It is a very effective method of cleaning them. We are obviously not talking about Water Jet Cutting pressures, but done right, it lasts a long time.

Hi new member
Subject cleaning algae and proofing the Mohair roof .
NC black Mohair soft top only had the car nine months ,so first cleaning .
Started off vacuum the roof to take off lint ,dust with upholstery brush on hoover
Next step wet roof with gentle spray on garden hose (No Power washing )
Using a special brush for Mohair
Used Rally and Race cleaner it’s grannuals mix with hot water to dissolve.
Sponge onto roof
Agitate with brush since leave to dry took three washes to fully remove algae
Then used Fabsil brush onto dry roof rubover with dry cloth leave to dry approximately six hours give second coat .
The car is outside all the time never garaged
It was.leaking.