Removing Swirls & Light Scratches Brilliant Black

Hi all,

I have a Mk1 in brilliant black (PZ) with some light scratches and swirls that I want to remove. I’ve done a quick test and the paint is single stage. Does anyone have any tips or advice before I set off with a DA and meguiars polishing compound? Obviously, I plan to wash, clay etc… before I start.

I’ve done some research and seen that Poorboys Super Swirl Remover or Black Hole is apparently good but it would be great to hear if anyone has had any experience with these on pZ.

Thanks in advance

Not got my hands on the NC paint yet, but I always use Scholl Concepts on my black Audi’s (different paint beast I know, coat is so hard on the Audi’s).
SCHOLL Concepts - Car Care & Detailing Products — Tagged "By Product Type: Light Cutting Compounds" — Polished Bliss?

Did a full paint correction on the A5 during Covid and it looked like new after I’d finished it.

If you’ve got a DA, I’m probably teaching you to suck eggs, but go light compond / light pad for the first pass and see what the results are. The hex-logic pads are awesome for the DA.

1 Like

Meguiars Ultimate Compound is good polish and diminishes nicely so you shouldn’t over do it, but it’s quite aggressive on soft Japanese paint so don’t go using it often. Try it single stage but you may find you need to refine the finish with something gentler such as Scholl S20 Black 1 Step Compound or Sonax EX 04-06 that you work from milky to clear over about 3-4 minutes (or gentler still for regular use would be Poorboys SSR 1 and Scholl S40). These polishes are quite pad sensitive, so use those to adjust the cut to suit.

Usual stuff just in case you’re not aware: All the above are oil based polishes so you will need to use panel wipe (or homebrew 20% IPA solution) afterward to shift it and see what finish you’ve actually achieved. Watch out for heat building up in the pad as it’ll ruin it, generally have two to swap between. And mask up your plastics and rubber to stop staining. If you need more advice I can DM you my self-help guide.

Black Hole is a glaze, not a polish. It will look awesome for about 2 weeks, then all wash out! On the DA you’ll want a soft pad and medium speed, and don’t panel wipe it afterwards! I recommend you seal or ceramic coat first before going on with Black Hole.

1 Like

I have followed the steps on the video link below. on 3 cars now. As @ckyliu mentioned the paint is pretty soft so take it eady with the main cutting compound. You will be able to gauge and control the DA machine after 5-10 mins by looking at the results on the swirl marks.

Good luck :+1:

1 Like

It’s the single stage paint that is the biggest challenge, i.e. one without any top lacquer. So have a few pads spare as they turn black quite quickly! In modern terms, the detailing industry has come to define ‘single stage’ as the approach to compound & polishing stages, that promotes confusion.

I went light cut with a DA when I had mine ( appropriate grade Chemical Guys hex logic pad from memory, with Menzerna Intensive Polish). Then refined with Menz Final Finsh polish.

Then Black Hole, then Jeff’s Prime sealant to lock in the filling capabilities of the Black Hole. Finally some Collinite 476S as a harder wax layer, then topped off with Victoria Concourse for a bit more pop serving as the more sacrificial LSP layer…

3 Likes