Repair immediately (major defects): Offside Rear Suspension component mounting prescribed area excessively corroded significantly reducing structural strength (5.3.6 (a) (i))

Hi I am looking at buying my first MK5 and have looked at a few but found one that bodywork all looks great etc but there are two old MOTs that show corrosion, the seller has the mazda receipts from when both have been fixed and its passed MOTs since, am I safe to buy this car if both offside and rear suspension have both had corrosion but been fixed by Mazda?

1. My model of MX-5 is: __
  2. I’m based near: __ Essex
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __ Repair immediately (major defects):
  • Offside Rear Suspension component mounting prescribed area excessively corroded significantly reducing structural strength (5.3.6 (a) (i))

Date tested

2 November 2021

FAIL

Mileage

50,475 miles

Repair immediately (major defects):

• Nearside Rear Suspension component mounting prescribed area excessively corroded significantly reducing structural strength (5.3.6 (a) (i))

I imagine “Mazda fixing it” is the local Mazda dealer welding it. You don’t specify which model you have nor the nature of the repair. Mazda dealers can bodge as well.

This one sounds pretty rusty. At the time the nearside was repaired, it would have been obvious the offside wasn’t far behind. But the owner, probably because of budget, waited until it failed to repair. That tells me the car was run on a shoestring.

2 Likes

Don’t rely on Mazda dealers to do the repairs. Most contract the work out for paint work and rust/welding.

1 Like

thanks so much, this is it, maybe you can tell from this what model it is. It has all receipts of work done it failed October 2020 for one then Oct 2022 for the second, no other problems that I know of…

Hi look’s like a NC 2.0 lit Is it a 55 plate… Mine is a 06 plate .

1 Like

yes its a 55 plate. How expensive is it does anyone know to get this re done if it corrodes again? how long should it last for?

1 Like

Depends how good a job they have done. If they have cut away all the rust it should last a few years. Have a look on you tube this will show you how bad these can get Very rusty Mk3 MX5 - NC Miata - YouTube

Early model NC, a Launch Edition so it’s been on our roads 17 ish years rusting away. It’s what lurks elsewhere under the car not been treated. If it’s lathered in underseal beware it could be hiding nasties.
That’s the negatives out of the way, it’s a nice model with the chrome trim, special alloys, red leather interior etc. We don’t really know if it’s had good repairs or not, for all we know they made a good job of it and it’ll last a good few more years. Then there’s the mileage, engine condition, we don’t know and the asking price?.
I think you need a second opinion to look the car over before purchase.

2 Likes

These early NCs rust everywhere. The rear subframe braces (2 of them) rust through. Maybe this is the bit Mazda replaced.

2 Likes

so this is the certificate that I have been given, would anyone on here know if this work would of been sufficient and how long something like this would last for if done well? Has anyone on here used this garage for repairs?

is this ok, bad, awful or unrepairable?

1 Like

On your paperwork it says PATCH i would take that as just a plate put over the top of the rust. The cost for this repair will be a lot more then on the paper work. Look’ing at the photos you will need to spend some time sorting it out it can be done at a cost. My 06 NC is not as bad but it as been underseald with no rust patchs as yet. . This week i’ve started to repaint and reunderseal the rear where it’s got light rust. You need to stay on top of things like rust . The best thing you could do is get it on a ramp or get somebody that knows what to look for. I’d have a look for you but i’m on the south coast . Somebody may come along and take a look at it.

1 Like

thanks so much

1 Like

Hello Suzi,
Ask the dealer to MOT before any further progress. Ideally, if they can treat the car even brushing down the rear and treating it for now that would be helpful as a starting point.
I can see the drop links look original that may indicate the owner wasn’t someone who maybe got under the car, however, it does seem like they acted when they had to regarding MOT failures which you said was via Mazda, so would hope the quality of the repair was high. Also, get the garage to check the drain holes are free and clear.
These LE are stunning cars and as with most MX-5’s of this age, caution is required. If you can get someone to view it with you that would be good as @BNsilver mentioned. Test drive it too.

1 Like

So not Mazda repaired, but repaired by back street garage.

2020 welding was done barely 2000 miles ago. If you are intending to use the car every day or even every other day, I would not assume either of the welded patches to make it past next year. Can’t guarantee on the next MOT something else rusty will fail. The rear braces look paper thin, But at least they are cheap, as long as they don’t take a bit of floor with them.

The offside must have been far worse than nearside, given the labour bill.

I see from the ad photos its being sold by one of those traders selling from home. You won’t get a fresh MOT unless you pay for it. The MOT won’t guarantee the next 12 months of motoring.

If you are Rutland area, you are close enough to Thrussington Garage (in East Goscote) to give it a look over. Though they tell me when these Mk3s start to rot, they tend to go everywhere. But the main cost is in labour, as the materials are cheap.

1 Like

I will only be using the car on the weekends for fun. The dealer has offered to have the MOT done tomorrow by an independent garage. He has also included brushing down the underneath of the car and under-sealing it. The car will also come with a 6 month warranty…

1 Like

Any rust need’s to be treated before the new underseal is applyed. If not the rust will eat away behind the new underseal…

1 Like

apparently its surface rust that can be wire brushed off

2 Likes

“Apparently” may be the operative word here. You need the opinion of an independent expert who has poked around underneath.

David

2 Likes

thanks David, its having an MOT tomorrow by an independent garage

Get photos.
Not hard work these days with Iphones.
If it’s asking too much or you sense opposing traction…be suspicious.

1 Like