Replace steering wheel help…

I have a 2010 NC that I’ve had a few months and really want to get the steering wheel refurbished as a find the wheel quite thin, plus it has some nasty marks on it almost right through the leather…

I’ve been in touch with the guys at Royal Steering Wheels for a quote and was pleasantly surprised at the price, however, I didn’t realise they are a good 2.5-3 hour drive from me and they only do fitting on weekdays…

I have an airbag and had read you really need to know what you are doing to swap a wheel with one, but I’m wondering how hard can it actually be…

Due to work commitments I can’t get down to Royal until feb/mar next year so I’m wondering if anyone has done a swap themselves……?

Was it easy.? Any special tools needed etc…?

Admittedly I’m probs not going to use the car much now until the spring so it can wait, but it would be nice to get done sooner if possible…

Its not difficult at all and if you do run into a problem, you can phone them and they will talk you through it.

It’s an easy enough job. Just disconnect the battery for half an hour or so before starting and have the steering straight ahead.
Basic tools are all that are required, a 10mm socket with extension for the two bolts at the rear of the wheel and a 21mm socket for the centre nut. The airbag unplugs once you pry the little black thing out of the plug [it acts lock a lock, use a pick or a small screwdriver]. Leave the 21mm nut on a little bit while you wiggle the steering wheel free otherwise in your efforts it’s possible to biff yourself in the face as you pull the wheel off.

3 Likes

^^^Wot he said^^^ :+1:

1 Like

I fitted my Royal Sterring Wheel to my ND. I think it is absolutly brilliant. The job is was straight forward for me and i am sure it will be the same for a NC too. Check Youtube videos for a guide on how to remove the air back. As above battery was dissconnected for a good 30mins before starting the job.

Hardest part of the job for me was locating the clips holding the airbag in place, every thing else was straight forward after that.

You will not be disappointed.

I expanded on my install a little more here:

2 Likes