Replaced the NVA-SD8110 satnav

I bought a 2nd hand 2012 NC mx5, the Hamaki trim level ( is the same as the UK Venture edition)

It has the TomTom SD8110 satnav unit factory installed, and I didn’t like it. 

Replacing it turned out to be very easy, apparantly Mazda treated the 8110 as an aftermarket install.

The wiring loom in the car is the same as in the non-bose MX5 cars, they just hidden the original Mazda radio plug behind the glovebox.

How to do this :  (in my case I installed a double din pioneer headunit)

1. remove the centre console, pull the side panels and undo the 2 radio screws and the 10mm bolt on the side. In my car the bolt was on the left side, I have a LHD car so maybe in the UK the bolt is on the other side.  

2. Pull out the radio and disconnect all the plugs on its back (and take of the GPS antenna that they stuck on top of it ) - also the plug on the HVAC controls and set the whole thing aside

3. follow the loom branches , you will find the Mazda radio plug (it is wrapped in a foam jacket) and the antenna plug (also wrapped in a foam jacket). I had to snip the extra wire from the antenna plug to the +12V.

4. Depending on what your new HU is , you can leave the microphone in place. (I couldn’t cos Pioneer uses 2.5mm plug and Sanyo uses 3.5mm). Note : the pioneer microphone is the same one as the sanyo, but with a different plug. If you replace the microphone you can reuse its mount

5. Between the seats there is a gprs antenna, attached with velcro, its cable is attached with a bunch of binders to the loom going to the center console. You can snip all the binders loose and shove the antenna through the center console

6. The USB/iPod leads in the glovebox are bound and attached behind the glovebox. Just snip the 2 binders and the whole thing can be taken out.

1. Now you can install your new stereo, I used an autoleads SWI CP2-MZ23 for the steering wheel controls. Works perfectly and it can be used with many brands of car stereo.

As the TomTom unit has non-standard dimensions, you will have to get a 2-din fascia. I bought the CT24MZ20 Fascia adaptor.  The colour matches perfectly.  Note : there are many of those things available, but make sure that you get one for the 2009-2015 models .

Very interesting post, never been happy with the Tomtom Sanyo unit, even more so considering the exorbitant update costs so this is one option I may one day look at.

Currently we use a Garmin standalone with lifetime maps and traffic, it is nice to be able to program three weeks of routes on board via the PC. The Tomtom just sits there popping up the odd speed camera warning (out of date of course)

Yeah, I also hated the speedcam warnings on the Sanyo

Mine also did not dim when I switched on the headlights so at night the thing was very distracting. And they didn’t bother to give it an NC color scheme, they could at least change the blue to a red scheme that’s more fitting with the rest of the dashboard.

Now I use Apple Carplay to navigate. I can choose to use Apple maps, Google maps or Waze now . I never understood why a 99 EUR stand-alone Garmin/TomTom can have lifetime maps and a 1800 EUR OEM from the car manufacturer needs yearly updates costing over 100 EUR

(My 2012 Opel Ampera takes the cake : a 1800 EUR satnav system and they stopped map support in 2013… Unable to swap because it is more than just the car stereo)

if you use Garmin Base Camp (free to download) you can  make your route using way points. Great to make a trip  on a day out going the way you want to go.

I couldn’t agree more, the one option I would never pay for on a car is sat-nav! Even though all our cars have it, each is bordering on useless 

1 Like

After a considerable delay I have set the wheels in motion to swap out the Sanyo, Android Auto is really an improvement on the Sanyo Tomtom, I am just in the process of gathering all the parts.

How did the swapping out to Android Auto go? I am trying to do the same with my 62 reg and keep hitting a brick wall!

You will need the following parts below to carry out the fitting of an aftermarket head unit. Depending on which unit (brand) you go for you may need an extra patch lead, probably less that ÂŁ7 or included with that second SW lead kit.

Not quite finished, a DAB aerial will be required too if you want the DAB to work on the new unit.

A bit different in taking out the Sanyo/Tom Tom unit, you need to trace back on the wiring loom as it’s tucked away and find the connector. Also you will have a GPS receiver I tucked under the dash somewhere.

Any car automotive fitters of this kind of equipment should be able to sort this for you, meat and drink to them I would think. If you go somewhere like Halfords it could be hit and miss.

I fitted the Sony xav-ax5550d which is a tiny sized radio box, very useful as there are a few extra parts/connectors that sit behind it.

All works perfectly, changed the aerial to a proper DAB one as well.

1 Like

Has anyone got the NC satnav they want to sell?