Replacement Aftermarket (MX5parts/ILM) NA bonnet struts

I’ve had the MX5parts (IL Motorsport) on my Mk1 now for 10+ years, and they’re not really able to support the bonnet anymore, even on the level (using a block of woould to support). Originally fitted because I have the 1.8 ARC Superintake, which prevents the standard bonnet prop from being stowed.

The present lifters being sold by MX5parts seem to be even cheaper than previous, so I suspect they have found an even cheaper source of struts.

I seems in the US you can walk into any parts store, with a random strut in hand, and they will generally find a replacement. Not sure motor factors in the UK will be like that. No markings on the struts I have; anyone any idea what I need to look for if scouting around for generic strut replacements?

_

Hi S,
Have a look here Gas Struts | Gas Springs & Gas Struts for Sale UK – Buy Online | SGS (sgs-engineering.com) They may just have what you need.
Don’t look at any of their other products as it may be injurious to your finances!!!
:heart:

1 Like

I found the IL struts were too strong on the NC! I still have them after only a week on the car, free to anyone who wants to collect them (posting is not worth it when you can buy new from SGS).

I sourced my replacement struts for NC bonnet and kitchen cupboards from SGS Engineering.

They make them, the choice of sizes and push is vast, delivery is quick and they are not expensive! Best of all the 18 kitchen ones from SGS (20 bought, 2 still unused) have lasted MUCH longer at full force than those (expensive and made in Germany) supplied and replaced under warranty by Howden’s which seemed to become weaker by the month.

Select the force you need and size and ends and choose from their stock. 1 kg = 10 Newtons approximately, and the struts are all in Newtons.

So for the NC ali bonnet I bought two off struts at 100 Newtons each. They measured at 11 kg pushing down on the bathroom scales, so near enough for me.

EDIT (I should have mentioned this)

To work out the force required, hook a spring scale to one of the bonnet lifter attachments after disconnecting both lifters, and see how much pull you need along the line of the lifter to hold the bonnet up at the right height.

Divide it in two for two lifters as minimum force each, add 50% for contingency and bingo.

2 Likes

Thanks. SGS, StrutsDepot or Ridex will have a strut to fit I am sure, but need hunt down the correct equivalent part number. Some reference to 51lbs Strongarm D4247 lift support, but I don’t think I can get that in the UK. This seems to be a 50lb force strut, 500mm long.

Something like this is similar, a bit softer (45lbs)

My bonnet is fibre glass and has no location hole for the original prop and i don’t care for gas struts having seen too many cars with distorted bonnet hinges.
If you type in google.
SEALEY 1.2m Telescopic Bonnet/Tailgate Support
You will find what i use.

2 Likes

So basically a stick.

The ARC Superintake prevents the standard prop to be stowed when not in use. So I used to just stash it behind the passenger seat before I got the lifters. Could go back to that, cost zero. I’ve had the bonnet struts for over 10 years; they have not distorted the bonnet. I think there are more problems with the kits that use just one strut.

1 Like

hello All, jumping onto the subject. if you finally do get some from SGS or elsewhere and they work, please post the reference. I’m going to be looking for some soon. Cheers

Don’t forget, if starting from scratch, the brackets for mounting to car and bonnet are still needed; strut suppliers like SGS will not have those custom brackets.

This is why my initial choice was the IL Motorsports kit from MX5Parts at one of the Nationals, it had everything even if not quite ideal.

However if merely replacing tired struts when the brackets are already in place, then SGS et al will be ideal.

1 Like

THe MX5parts NA/NB lifter don’t have brackets; you drill the hinge.

But I wonder if a short fixed prop could be fitted along the top of the wing.

1 Like

Ouch. I don’t like that at all. They must be heavy duty struts. I can see why there was comment about them distorting the hinges.

On my NC it is only slightly more sanitary, one just bends the bonnet if the struts are too strong!

I posted about it here