Replacement Audio system

1. My model of MX-5 is: MK3 2012__
  2. I’m based near: Fife__
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: Audio.can anyone recommend a replacement system for my car as the factory one fitted is rather outdated, not looking for anything super techy just some options for good modern units that would be an easy fit. Thanks Dave.__

Hi fellow Fifer…
I bought a kit from these guys and it was relatively straightforward.
https://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/vehicles/Mazda/MX-5/2012

Lots of threads on here about pitfalls, pros and cons. Have a read of some of then, then ask specific questions if you need to. But in general it is an easy and common upgrade.

What features are you looking for?

• DAB?
  • sat nav?
  • Bluetooth?
  • CD?
  • usb / iPod connection?
  • remote / steering wheel control?
  • variable colour display?
  • are you thinking new speakers? These may give a better “upgrade” than a head unit alone

As McTrucky says, there’s a plethora of options and you can spend any amount - it depends on what you want. A few thoughts that shaped my thinking - double-din (mainly just because), bluetooth audio, hands-free (optimistic in a convertible, I know), mechless (can’t remember the last time I played a CD), large controls for ease of use, no DAB because reception my way is terrible (I have it on my other car). I also chose not to have a touch-screen/sat nav jobbie, because the unit is mounted quite low and near to you as a driver, so the change from watching the road to glancing at the screen is a large and distracting change - your mileage may vary. Both this and the lack of a CD player meant I could choose a short-body unit which would make it much easier to fit with the associated wiring.

With the above in mind I went for a Kenwood DPX-M3200BT head unit, Connects2 CT24MZ20 fascia and CTSMZ002.2 magic box (Note: this is a MK3.5 without the Bose bits). I also got Kenwood KFC-PS6895C 6"x8" for the front and some Alpine SXE0825S 3.5" for the rear. Not exactly high-end but looked like it would do the job.

Fitting it was pretty simple - except for that 10mm bolt. A short-body head unit was indeed a good idea with all the extra wiring as there is very little spare space in the dash. I routed the microphone for the hands-free up into the binnacle and stuck it next to the trip reset button. It is quite invisible except in direct sunlight and points straight at the driver’s face.

In all, very happy with the look and fit – it all looks pretty factory, or at least like it belongs. If there is a gripe it is that the steering wheel control ‘up/down’ button seeks rather than changes preset when in radio mode, but I think that’s down to the head unit. Everything else is fine and altogether, it is a big improvement over the factory sound.

Good luck, and do post pictures :smiley:

thanks very much for the info a lot to think about.
regards Dave.

thanks for the info quite a bit to think of.
regards Dave

probably just something a bit more modern and colourful with USB and bluetooth.
regards Dave.

Another option and what I did.

I went for the cheapest solution possible and fitted one of these

Pure Highway 400

For me spending £500 on a radio for a £3k car didn’t make sense but this did. It works a treat, does everything I want it to and more. I have DAB and phone, streaming from my phone if I want to and cost under £50. I mainly use DAB and it’s fine sound quality is good (I’d upgraded the door speaker previously)

In retrospect I’d put the controller in the armrest or glove box. I rarely have to touch it so it could be tucked out of the way and out of sight.

1 Like

Hi grumpy2, just for info where / how did you mount it? I assume I would have to use the 600 for hands free. Regards Glenn

What’s your budget? Are you only looking for more features?

sorry that was a bit lazy on my part - not checking the link correctly.

Mine is an Alpine unit which is a branded Pure 600 but £20 cheaper at just £50. Currently unavailable so when I pasted the link it auto changed to the Pure 400 and I didn’t check.

lets see if this works

I located the control unit is next to the heater controls - I might have a pic???

1 Like

Thanks grumpy2.

Have you come to a decision Dave?
My plan to use a Black Friday bargain to help me make a choice failed as there were non! I spoke with Dynamic Sounds and they said supply was very sporadic due to the worldwide chip shortage.
Anyway, my wife asking for the new ABBA CD for her birthday gave me the idea to also buy her a Glove box CD Player to install in the Family Astra. ( a Ranber USB 2.0 Interface Car Radio CD/DVD Dish Box Player, £51-00). I have used and it works well. The plan is that I could then also use in my MX5 ( the player not the CD!) thus widening the choice of Head Units and going mechless to ease installation. Plus lower cost. Although a Unit with twin USB would be useful. More to think about.
Regards Glenn

I have never really used the cd player in my Miyako.
The phone does everything via a Bluetooth gizmo.
The sound quality is actually better than from the cd player and I get satnav via Google Maps, which updates itself tor free. The gizmo enables hands free calls as well. I have a big screen Galaxy phone with a nice big memory card and use a downloaded map, so I’m not even using much data.
Having upgraded my speakers to the JVC ones as sold by MX5 Parts, the sound quality is perfectly adequate for such an imperfect listening environment.
I do find it’s essential to have the phone on maximum output volume for best quality.
If you have the phone on low volume and turn the volume up on the head unit to compensate, the sound quality is significantly degraded.

1 Like