Satnav replacement ideas needed

Hello, first time poster here, good to be part of this group. Been contemplating for a while what to do about the now inoperative satnav system in my 2012 Venture. From reading some of the articles here and elsewhere there seems to be agreement that the quality of the unit is pretty poor even from new. So looking for ideas really of what to replace it with. I would want a good stereo/CD player preferably with hands free phone connection. Think I’m happy with my iPhone mounted to do the satnav work. Sorry for no picture, I’m away from it and my main picture files, I will post one when I get back home. I can tell you it looks as good today as the day I bought it in 2012, in it’s beautiful pearlescent white.

I use my phone for both music and sat nav - via Google Maps
The phone bluetooths to a gizmo that plugs into the power socket and music is then outputted to the head unit via the aux in socket. The gizmo also provides power out to charge the phone and provides hands free calling as well, via the head unit.
Since changing the speakers, quality is all you need in what is a relatively poor listening environment.

Put this in my 2013 Sport Tech and with a reverse camera.
Connects via WiFi too.
Music from iPhone, would you really need a CD player? I thought I might but don’t need it.
Maps via Google or Waze all perfect. :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

1 Like

£3.00 at " The Works" :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
But then, I’m a Jock after all.

5 Likes

Impressed you have next years! :joy::+1:

1 Like

Not a lot changes in Scotchanistan.
Only the weather every 2 hours.

3 Likes

Thanks for that info. Looks to be just what I need except for the CD. I do have a separate CD player if that would link into this device or the other car connections. Some checking to do. Did you fit this yourself?

I’m saving the planet, mine’s 2017

1 Like

Just got back from holiday will come back to you shortly. :+1:

No rush, good of you to share

This is what I did in April this year.
If you go with the Kenwood. It does come highly recommended. There is a slight upgrade the 8020 but that is more for the Android users, (apparently).
The DAB set up is far far better than the FM of the old unit. Both work on the new one too.
All the steering wheel controls function as before.
I “get” why you want a CD player, but to be honest what is the point if you are using Apple CarPlay. :thinking:
A matter for your good self.

1. KENWOOD DMX8019DABS. (CAR AUDIO CENTRE) OR one of your choice……
  2. CONNECTS 2 FACIA CT24MZ20 (DYNAMIC SOUNDS)
  3. CONNECTS 2 WIRING LOOM- CTSMZ002.2 (CONNECTS THE STEERING WHEEL FUNCTIONS ETC). CAR AUDIOCENTRE
  4. KENWOOD PATCH LEAD- (THAT PLUGS INTO THE BRAIN BOX OF 3). OR the patch lead for whatever unit you get.
  5. CONNECTS 2 ANTENNA ADAPTER- CT27AA36. FROM DYNAMIC SOUNDS (eBay FORGOT IT ON THE FIRST ORDER).
  6. DAB ANTENNA -WENT WITH THE KENWOOD DAB-A1 DYNAMIC SOUNDS
  7. KENWOOD CMOS-230 REVERSING CAMERA. CAR AUDIO CENTRE. Again your choice.

Shop around as prices change daily from my experience. Not the cheapest, but worth spending the money TBH.

I shopped around as was doing it myself, but at least you will know where you stand for fitting etc.
There IS a GREEN single wire that runs behind the glove box and disappears. That will need cutting from the original radio loom and connecting into the REVERSE Purple/White wire on the Kenwood harness for the reverse camera to work properly. i.e when selecting reverse obviously! (Just for anyones info). (Robbie’s help).
All marked anyway.
There IS a 10mm bolt that screws into the Sanyo mount on the right hand side that stops (apparently) it being pulled out? It’s slip disc territory for that one!!
Bit tricky and would recommend a narrow as possible extension and SECURE the 10mm socket on the end. Also a good idea perhaps a bit of blue tac in the socket so the bolt doesn’t drop down into the dark depths.
Centre consul off and all the plastic bits and bobs.
If you decide to do it yourself and need any help please come back (perhaps PM) as I took various photo’s along the way.
The Sanyo Unit was just bodged into the wire loom anyway as you will see if you do it yourself.
Also, the rear speakers work now as didn’t really before, (I don’t know why).
Generally quite straight forward job to be honest.
My mate had his done in his 2012 venture too.
Sold my one on eBay for £80. :+1: