Replacing main car (Currently a Yeti)

Hi all, and many thanks for all the suggestions!

I did consider a Vitara (top of my list), as I think it’s practical and the looks appeal. Initially I wanted the AWD, but to be honest difficult to justify the extra cost and complexity for something that probably isn’t used for 99% of the time, (and I understand that fitting Winter tyres on a 2WD is probably more beneficial than std. tyres on an awd). Not yet ruled one out completely! Problem is the later ones are now all hybrid, and I am definitely not interested in a (non-plug in) hybrid as I think they are largely a con to meet some arbitary emissions targets, (bit like stop start technology). Can’t really see the point of using an IC engine to power a battery, to drive a car…but that’s just me.

Some other good suggestions, I really like the Volvo, and accept it is probably in a different league quality wise, but accept that you do pay for the privilege !

Like the idea of another MX!!..(2.0 ltr RF?) .but I think it would then be difficult to decide which one to use!

Do like the Mazda CX30, (I think the CX3 is a little on the small side, and probably not that much higher / bigger than a standard 3? When lockdown is over I may pop down for a test drive in one…again being newer they are still a bit pricy, and for a “general” car I prefer the driving characteristics of the smaller engine with a turbo. (Yeti is 1.4 Turbo and goes really well).

Also thought about just keeping the Yeti, (only done 25k miles / 5 years old)…just fancied a change…

Again thanks for all the input…more food for thought and gives me some research to do while we can’t actually go anywhere!

Would have to disagree that Skoda is a budget VW, Skoda’s design philosophy is to give increased passenger space, comfort and practicality. Whilst Skoda use the VW engine and running gear the equipment levels of the models higher up the ranges are very highly specified and comparable to the equivalent VW model. Also my new Karoq Edition certainly has not been downgraded when compared to my 2018 model, in fact the infotainment system specification has been improved along with the Skoda Connect App functionality. The only retrograde step has been the deletion of the CD player which my wife bemoans as she just doesn’t like having to now load all her music onto her phone.

1 Like

must admit the cd player in the latest MX is a complete waste of space (literally)…wish it was easy to remove as I would rather have an extra cubbyhole!!..bet mine will never have a cd inserted!

Having ordered the new Skoda Karoq for delivery in March I have read today that there is a shortage of computer chips coming out of China that is affecting VW Group and most other car makers and they are having to stop car production. So it looks like I might be waiting a bit longer than I thought.

1 Like

that is a nice looking car , swap for a sportage ???

1 Like

Must admit I’ve never looked closely at a Skoda, I’m not a brand or badge snob but harks back to my youth days when they were awful cars. Looks a nice car so whenever showrooms open again might have a look as reviews seem pretty good. The 2.0 petrol DSG looks good but I would be taking a hit of around 15mpg on my Vitara though.

1 Like

I think you are right, the Skoda is only a budget VW from a price point. In terms of spec and quality they are no different. I also think that Skoda try that bit harder. They are very different from the Skodas from when I started driving! Never really got on with the Seat - in my opinion they are the lowest ranked of the VAG products, but they are getting better.

Another Skoda Karoq driver here; MX-5 forum friendly picture of same attached.

FWD only 1.5 SEL petrol DSG goes well enough, but I have never seen 50 mpg on any run - blame the driver.
Fully removable rear seats make for a good load space.

1 Like

Do have a look at the CX-30 and CX-5 as the build quality is excellent and the new interiors are really almost Audi quality, excellent for the money.
I had a 2015 MK3 Octavia hatch 1.2 turbo. In a lot of ways a great car for the money.
What you can’t see is that the money has been saved on things like sound proofing, the Octavia droned terribly on rough roads, and the big hatch vibrated. A similar age Golf I drove was much quieter.
Also the interior trim is a lot less quality than a Golf, the door trims in particular were basically a piece of black plastic with a silver strip on top, no cloth or leather insert.
Also the small engine and turbo strategy is flawed now in the UK as our road tax for most cars are all £150 pa now.

In conclusion nothing terrible about them, but you are getting a cost cut VW, styling is a bit bland, but as long as you’re happy with that it’s ok.

1 Like

Hi jingars, my Karoq is a 1.5 manual. I only got to 50 mpg once I had the latest engine management software installed, before that it used to be in the mid 40s. Like the colour of yours, Racing Blue, that is what I’ve ordered for my new one.

1 Like

Hi bally, it’ll be available at DM Keith in Wakefield, hopefully late March, if you want it.

1 Like

Hi all, and thanks for the ongoing feedback. Think the Karoq is a little on the large side for me, would consider the Kamiq though…anybody got one?

Also would like to look at the CX30…can anybody give me an idea of “real world” mpg as I understand they are 2 litre?

Many thanks

Yes the 2.0 Mazda engine isnt as economical as the little VW petrol turbos, but it might be more reliable long term, as it’s timing chain rather than belt, and no turbo to fail.
The 2.0 engine is similar to what’s in the MX-5 ND, just different tune.

I would say mid 30s for an auto, probably closer to 40 for a manual. Honest John publishes real world mpgs

1 Like

On our Vitara which is 1.6 auto 4x4 but not permanent I average 45 mpg and on a trip to Scotland averaged 52 mpg which I thought was good as our Vitara before which was the older shape which was 2.0 auto and averaged 23 and downhill with a strong wind 28-30 mpg on a run.

1 Like

I’ll check our 6 estate 2.5 auto tomorrow and see what we are getting out of her, although not been too far in it so only a few hundred on the clock.

MPG can vary hugely between people and how and where you drive.

In my Golf GTi on a long run I get about 41MPG if I take it easy - 32MPG normally and when I put my foot down a bit it sinks into the low 20’s.

I had a pre turbo Boxster and it was similar. Long term average was 28MPG, but I once went from Cheshire to Bristol and back and did 44MPG for the whole journey. Was amazed!

Getting a high MPG can make a journey fun, as you can see how high you can get it by planning ahead, coasting, etc etc. Sometimes it can break up a boring journey!!

1 Like

Hi stubod
Just read your post, may I add my thoughts. If you like the Yeti keep it. Spend the money you would lose on changing on a great driving holiday as soon as you can in the MX5 you will remember that far longer than the trip to the car dealer to replace the Yeti. A private plate on the Yeti and no one will know it’s age. Experiences are far more important than a new car!
Happy motoring.

1 Like

I’d vote for keeping the Yeti but it’s perfectly understandable that you want something with more toys or something different. We’re entering into a strange interim period at the moment where the government have said no more fossil fuel cars by 2030. In reality this doesn’t mean you suddenly have to stop using them in 9 years time, just that it’s affecting people’s choices now. Ironically if you buy electric in 2021 the car will be less usable in 9 years time due to battery degradation than a 9 year old diesel!

As for your Yeti? if I read your post right it’s done 25k miles? That’s not even run in for VAG car, our family wagon is a 2013 Golf GT TDI estate, it’s 8 years old now, done 151,000 miles and so far (touch wood) all I’ve had to do is change the oil, cambelt, disks & pads. It still drives the same as when it was new.

1 Like

I’m quite tempted by the cheap and cheerful(ish) Dacia Duster. If for no other reason, they are relatively simple. Also, as someone who often likes to “explore” minor roads, I’ve noticed that they have the added advantage of exceptionally good ground clearance.

Gosh! and people used to make jokes about Skoda :flushed:
Each to there own of course…