Replacing main car (Currently a Yeti)

Hi all,

We have been MX5’ing for 20+ years and the MX is our “2nd / funcar”.

Our main drive is a Yeti (Petrol 1.4) which we have now had for 3 years and I normally change around this time. Just wondering what to replace it with as it is a tough act to follow.

Basically looking for something similar (ie small SUV), does not really need to be AWD, (current Yeti is), but do fancy an auto, and petrol. Also looking at something up to 2 years old which we would aim to keep for around 3 years.

Have been considering:-
A later Yeti - (but now 3 years old at best)
Seat Arona, VW T-Roc, Audi Q2, Skoda Kamiq, Volvo XC40 (an expensive option!),

Just wondering if anybody else has been through a similar decision making process?

I do like the general “feel and quality” of the Yeti, (LK model) which most newer cars seem to lack…

You could take a look at the Kia Stonic. I have one (which replaced a Mazda 2) and absolutely love it.
Usual Kia high spec with a quality feel and fun to drive for a small SUV.

1 Like

My neighbour’s got a Jimny and swears by it! (I don’t mean he stands beside it cussing and blinding!)

3 Likes

Suzuki Vitara Hybrid 4WD seems to get really good press.

1 Like

The Jimny is great unless you want to go on the motorway and on a long journey they can be more challenging, but for short journeys they are great…

Now taken off sale due to high average CO2 emissions for Suzuki…

1 Like

My mother in law had a Renault Capture which ws ok, but as it got to 5 years old was starting to go wrong. Would not recommend one! The Yeti’s are very good…

I would also look at buying a car with a dealer not too far away, especially if it is less than 3 years old as it makes servicing etc easier…

1 Like

What about the new Cupra? We test drove the Cupra Ateca which was a beast this looks ‘a little’ more refined.

Edit: We ended up buying an Auto 6 Estate 2.5 Petrol in the end.

1 Like

What about a T Cross?

1 Like

I replaced my 2017 Mini Cooper with an MX5 ND, we now have two MX5’s, you could try that. :joy:

3 Likes

Try the Toyota CHR. Its hybrid and automatic, excellent Toyota build quality and reliability + drives nice and is comfortable and well equipped. Plenty of choice at Toyota dealerships from pre-reg to 2 or 3 years old.

If you buy a 2 year old vehicle you would still have 3 years Toyota warranty left on it.

1 Like

We have Suzuki’s and Toyotas in our family. Both makes are extremely reliable motors.

1 Like

Mazda CX-5 or CX-30?

Currently both on 0% finance, and use Carwow to get some discount.

Japanese generally more reliable than badge engineered VW brands.

2 Likes

And both much more fun to drive than your average SUV. If I was to sell our Skoda Yeti which is now 7 years old it would be one of these two that I would look at, as I find everything else totally lacking in any character (unlike the Yeti).

It sounds like you like the car you have. Why change it?

It used to be that changing a car every 3 years was a good way to avoid the big costs associated with an older car. These days though cars just keep on keeping on as long as you maintain them and 3 years is really barely run in. You’ll lose less money on it too as it seems cars have gone up massively recently

With electric cars being the norm in the next couple of years I would really have to think twice before spending money on something new that burns fuel, with emissions regulations being so much tighter they have become so complicated they won’t be worth fixing once they’ve aged a bit. I’m keeping my 8 and 9 year old fuel burners until they go pop [hopefully at least another 6-10 years] and then I’ll replace with a leccy car

edit: I will be keeping the MX5 until I can no longer get in and out of it!

3 Likes

We have a Seat Ateca and rate it very highly. Loadsa toys, loadsa room and soooo nice to drive.

1 Like

I test drove the 170 bhp diesel 4x4 yeti before i bought my sportage

I wish I’d bought the yeti !!!
Not got on with the sportage :flushed:

1 Like

I can definitely recommend the Skoda Karoq and coming from the Yeti all the controls will be in exactly the same place as you are used to. I have the 1.5 tsi and the performance is good with 50mpg on a motorway run. I have the Edition spec and it has everything you can want and is really comfortable. Mine is coming up to 3 years old and I am so pleased with it that I am trading it in for another Karoq, briefly considered going back to an Octavia but the Karoq is such a nice car to drive and you get the legendary Skoda build quality and reliability that you are used to. Skoda’s do not consistently win Car of Year awards for nothing.

1 Like

We are in a similar position, had our Suzuki Vitara SZ5 Allgrip 1.6 auto for 4 years and fancy a change. Been a great car and would have another but new model not much different to what we have. We have shortlisted RAV4, new Hyundai Tucson, Mazda Cx-30 or CX5 or poss Honda CR-V.

1 Like

Looked at the Mazda CX range…
Had a Volvo XC40 as a loan car for the day. Nice drive, comfortable, loads of room and looks good in my opinion.
Beats the Mazda’s every time.
We sold our Mazda 2, (tinny, cheap materials, rubbish plastics) baked bean tin for a Volvo V60.
Yes more expensive to run, but far superior material, drive, comfort and build wise.
Spend your money on a Volvo. :+1:
Depends on mileage you do and budget of course. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Bare in mind the first 4 suggestions are basically the same VW car with either a budget (Skoda), sporty (seat) overpriced (Audi) or middle of the road (VW) brand attached.
You may also notice that because VAG have to pay for dieselgate (£billions!) somehow, and the latest models from all VAG brands have been downgraded in numerous ways, spec and interior in particular, while prices have risen.

1 Like