Revamped 5 for 2020

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/mazda-mx-5-r-sport-special-edition-is-how-you-make-a-cool-car-cooler-143032.html
Barrie

1 Like

Oh great! Another grey car …

3 Likes

Yes, not very imaginative is it? :thinking:

Barrie

1 Like

At least it makes the AE30 seem less overpriced!

1 Like

That’s lacquered undercoat.
Gram Strategic. :wink:

3 Likes

Parts bin special, wheels from the 30AE, seats from the 100AE, paint from B&Q.

5 Likes

When I saw R I thought that Mazda might have got a great idea for the MX5…but no.
Agreed, another grey colour, few of the normal bits and bobs,1.5 engine nothing really special (in my opinion). Why on earth don’t they “ACTUALLY” make a SPECIAL R?
Don’t get me wrong, ALL the generations of MX5/Editions/engines have an appeal for a great variety of customers/users, which again is the point. But they never really push the boat out and just go for a really “special edition” in both cosmetic and true performance.
I remember the day when I had a Vauxhall Carlton (Yes I know, family musts :wink:) and they brought out a proper special edition called the Lotus Carlton! If you all get my drift. Yes, it cost a lot of money, drank fuel, went like **** well quite fast actually :joy: but that was the point and it sold quite quickly.
I think nearly all the main car makers have done something unique and indeed continue to do so.
Perhaps they might twig one day.
Just a thought. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I too owned a Carlton back in the day and used to drool over the Lotus version! My own version was a 1.8L model :nerd_face::nerd_face: not exactly a sports version but I loved that car! It was very comfortable. Totally agree though that a proper edition 5 would be great to see from Mazda. They have done just so many special edition mx5’s that weren’t over the years.
Barrie

1 Like

My ideal revamp for the MX5 would be to put in a 2.5litre Skyactive version of the Mazda V6.

Just think of the torque spread and the rev range; if done properly it could be staggeringly good.

3 Likes

Current regulations simply means doing anything dramatic and exciting is not viable anymore as the “special edition” would be subject to the entire testing regime as a separate model, manufacturers in many cases can’t afford to do that for a limited run model. So as special edition is going to be made up from trim variations from the mass market models already fully tested. As I understand it now as soon as you introduce even a small bit of extra “special edition” body trim or even change the stitching on a seat it makes the model liable for full testing as a model in its own right.

3 Likes

Thanks Martin.

Oh well, we can still dream…

1 Like

Most of the Mazda special editions seem a total waste of time to me,other than a very few bits trim change and slight different colour not really lot else,now back in the 60s at least B.M.C made quite good efforts with all there brands,quite lot changes including grills,trims,even body panel changes,with some having totally different luxury interiors,i personally think a lot of the mazda specials seriously devalue the brand now,it means nothing to most people and lots of people would barely know about all these specials unless you were well clued up,we could all just go to halfords and get few graphics and call it a special.
All best Simon
P.S I am very pleased with my 2 litre N.D. 2 sport-nav ,and will wait for proper facelift or new model to come out.

2 Likes

To continue the debate, as it’s raining outside. :wink:
I hear what you say Martin and can’t disagree, (to a degree of course).
HOWEVER, Mazda “Could” if they really wanted too, build an MX5 model with true SPECIAL performance and trim level.
I have no doubt if they did they WOULD sell world wide.
They don’t have to just take parts/bits and bobs from the parts bin and chuck it together and try and tell the customer that this is a special.
As we all know it’s not. (The MX5 is in its own right).
Porsche/Mercedes/Renault and sure others do this and indeed they DO sell them.
Dare I say it that Ford builds and sells Fiesta and Focus ST pocket rockets! They are built with performance in mind. Along with the run of the mill standard models.
Honda, proper Type R.
BMW, M series
Just some examples that have been done and still continues.
Again just an opinion and will say again if Mazda really wanted too they could…

1 Like

1.5 - No

16" wheels - No

Dull grey - No

Burgundy upholstery - No

Grey roof - It will look like it has completely faded from day one - Hell no!

5 Likes

They could, but given the huge development cost to get it fully tested you wouldn’t want to pay for it… So they wouldn’t be able to sell it. Mazda I suggest don’t have volume sales like some others to justify the expense and we,re talking special editions of quite low numbers, nothing like volumes of Ford ST models etc.

1 Like

It doesn’t have to be a special edition then?
As I see it and indeed many others have said the limited editions actually do not really mean anything.
Just make an ongoing “Premium Performance MX5”.
The MX5 model I would suggest would still sell it, even though it would obviously be more expensive than the norm.
If Mazda priced and pitched it well in the market they would be on to a winner, (in my opinion).
I’am sure you have contacts at Mazda, perhaps you could ask them and really see what they think?
You never know.
As odd ball always said, “Less of those negative waves Moriarty”.
Many thanks for your time and interest though. :+1: :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Agree with that. Before anyone says you can always go to BBR to improve the performance that comes with problems. Insuring a modified car is the first. Residual value is the second. Go to trade in a modified car and you will rarely get much more than the book says. If Mazda were to create a performance model with more power and better handling then it would be a standard model in the range and on the list of every insurance company. The cost of the modifications done at the factory would be less than after market conversions. So Mazda could offer the car at a price point that would make them more profit per unit and give the buyer a purchase for less than buying the standard car and modifying themselves.

2 Likes

See, we have some positive waves! "Woof woof woof! (wasted if you haven’t seen the film). :joy:
Seriously, I agree with everything you say and that was exactly my point.
Many thanks. :+1:

1 Like

Given the enhanced performance of the latest 2.0 how much more do you want then, do we not already have a premium spec model?

You probably need to look at the market the MX-5 is sold to primarily beyond us the enthusiasts. And most will be happy with what they get and as a second or third car its still mostly affordable. If you have the budget and the need for speed perhaps you simply look elsewhere. Would a proper high performance MX-5 ever be able to compete with Porsche for instance? And given restrictions on imports, ll the issues around emissions etc. Mazda so far as I can work out simply would not be able to make and sell anywhere near enough to make it worthwhile and affordable.

Every manufacturer now is completely hamstrung and has to make emissions balance across the range. Its a strange world the one of car manufacture nowadays, and its not just a matter of build it and they will buy it.

1 Like

As a final post from me on this subject, as it has now just got a little bit too serious and about difference of opinions which we all respect.
Based on the facts that a great many of the posts on the Forum ask about modifications, performance upgrades, other enhancements etc etc would appear to disagree with you.
I have already stated the fact about the MX5 “Being special in its own right” in my previous post.
Which does suit the vast majority across the board, including the enthusiasts on a world wide basis.
I have come from a retiring biker lifestyle and was looking for a fun car.
The MX5 that I have suits our needs and we love it.
Yes, I know you are the club chairman and (in my opinion) has given the corporate answer.
Could an MX5 ever compete with a Porsche? Who knows, which one, which model, which year, which engine spec, which chassis, which suspension etc etc. That’s like saying did the chicken or the egg come first? I don’t know.
Reference your last paragraph. It would appear that perhaps a few of the manufacturers disagree with you about they will “build it and they will buy it”.
Good night all and keep safe.

1 Like