REVIEW: Custom Covers MX5 half cover for ND

Hi all, just a quick review of the UK Custom Covers half cover for ND MX5.

As my car lives on the drive, I bought a half cover from UK Custom Covers the cover is advertised as follows;

UK CUSTOM COVERS

Fully Tailored Mazda MX5 MK4 Soft Top Roof Hood Half Cover

Our soft top tailored half cover has been designed to fit easily. Made from a PU coated woven polyester it is totally waterproof providing complete protection from the outside elements. The cover is secured to your vehicle and cannot be removed without unlocking the car.

Roof Protector Key Features

• PU Coated Woven Polyester
  • Fully Waterproof
  • UV Protection
  • Includes Storage Bag
  • Completely custom fit to give you a perfect fit
  • Ultra Smart Look
  • Easy to store when not in use

Its sods law that since Iā€™ve bought the car. it hasnā€™t really stopped raining. Literally 24/7. However, a few days ago, it did stop, and the roof was dry. I sezied the opportunity and fitted the cover. All tabs were engaged in the doors and boot, and the cover was securely fitted around the wing mirrors and windscreen. About 3 or so hours after, it started raining and rained all night last night and all day today until about 2300. I have been outside the check the roof under the cover, and itā€™s soaking wet. The cover hasnā€™t moved, and it hadnā€™t been windy. It is apparent to me that either;

1. I have a faulty porous cover
  2. Its not really waterproof
    Or 3. Iā€™ve somehow fitted it wrong.

I have discounted 3 as I have spent ages checking youtube videos and have done exactly what everyone did in the videos. It is apparent that its not fit for purpose. I have reached out to the company but arenā€™t expecting a reply over the holiday season however, based on my experience so far, I can only score it 3 out of 10. It has scored some points with being a cover that covers and covers the roof drains etcā€¦ and it should stop cats or at least protect my roof from being scagged by their claws however, as it is clearly not waterproof, it is trapping moisture between the inside of the cover and the roof, a perfect breeding ground for algae/moss.

I cannot recommend this cover at all and thought Iā€™d share my experience in order for anyone who is considering one to be forewarnedā€¦

1 Like

A quick search online seems to indicate that PU coated polyester is water repellent but not totally waterproof, so I believe you have been mis-sold an item with an incorrect description that clearly states it is fully waterproof. Faulty goods can be returned for a refund, even bespoke items.

1 Like

May be you could consider using Fabsil Gold to up its performance. ( I did)
:heart:

Try lifting the cover up to the ā€˜lightā€™ and looking trough it from the reverse side. It is well reported that the plastic coating on the underside has been known to crack. If it has (as ours has) you will be able to see light through it.

1 Like

With high humidity and the right temperature you will get condensation especially on the windscreen and rear screen, but generally the cover does a good job of keeping the hood dry. This isnā€™t a fit and forget solution, Iā€™d advise taking off the top weekly on a dry day and giving the car an airing. After three years my top is very fresh looking and drain channels are clear too. Also it makes car less attractive to casual thieves imho. Careful when you take it off too (not easy) as pin holes can develop on the folds. I believe this cover is reasonable value, but would budget to change it after 3 or so winters. Fab sil is indeed good, but does make it more rigid, accelerating the pin hole issue. Be careful to keep the car clean at the bodywork touch points too.

1 Like

I have a Cabrio Shield, love it. Maybe try that.

I went on a long cruise and fitted the above cover. It caused a lot of condensation and the roof was green when we returned.

To solve this on our last cruise, I laid pool noodles (three) along the top of the roof, front to back. Centre one forward half over windscreen, outside ones rearward, half covering rear screen.

Upon return, no condensation and no green roof.

2 Likes

Thanks for all the replies! Iā€™ll take a look if it ever stops blooming raining. :rage::face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

One other q for anyone who has this cover or who knows stuffā€¦ Iā€™ve noticed that the tabs that fit into the boot are also slightly moist. Should I i be worried about this causing potential rust inside the boot? Is there a spray I can spray on places like inside the boot/engine that will protect against rust?

On a side note, Iā€™m finding myself getting panicky over rust! The car isnā€™t yet 3 years old! Iā€™m going to have it undersealed (dinitrol) either in Feb or March. Service & MOT are due in April. Would anyone advise leaving it until after the service etc (would a service or MOT procedure damage the underseal or shall I get it done ASAP?)

Thanks for the replies.

All the tabs get wet but it is not an issue as they all fit in ā€˜drainā€™ areas. These are before any seals so there is no danger of water ingress being caused by these tabs.

The service and or MOT should not have an impact on any rust prevention so get it done as soon as is practicable.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been using Fabsil Gold since your initial recommendation last spring and itā€™s darn right awesome. Literally, does what it says on the tin and lasts a good 3-4 months before needing to redo - mineā€™s an outdoor lady so with all the rain up north, she gets a regular soaking.

1 Like

Hi, I also have one of these covers and usually only fit it when expecting snow. My car is a daily driver (a less than 3 year old ND) and so it makes it quicker to take the cover off and get started in the morning than having to defrost the car. For this it works ok, as the windscreen does not get frosty, but the inside of the car windscreen still mists up.

I would say that as per a previous correspondent, it will not stop ALL rain, but will act as a further barrier, helping to keep the cloth hood from getting ā€œblastedā€ with rain. The rain that comes through this cover will only permeate through and the additional layer will add protection. However it will not keep it perfectly dry with the rain we have been having, but only adds an additional layer of protection. If there is a light drizzle, you will be ok, but the water cannot really run off the cover and so it will gradually soak through. The hood of your car should be waterproof though. Mine is still ok, but in spring (or a dry day when I have some time), I am going to clean it properly and paint on some weather protection sealant that has been in the garage since I bought the carā€¦

If you accept that this is the limitation of the cover, it is actually quite good, but you would need a ā€œproperā€ shiny, waterproof cover that does not have a cloth like finish to keep water off, so that the water beads and drains off.

So, now its stopped raining. Iā€™ve had a closer look at the cover. There appears to be several pin holes throughout the coverā€¦ not very good but it explains why the car was wet underneathā€¦

As I indicated earlier, they all do that. Get some Fabsil Gold on it and all should be well. (do a treatment at least once a year if you use it all the time)

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.