Revive rubber door seals

1. My model of MX-5 is: NC
  2. I’m based near: Birmingham
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: Rubber door seals

Anyone know of a product that will revive the tired door seals on my 15-year old NC? Thanks

Try this one worked well for me

Perhaps the best stuff is Shin-Etsu grease (Honda recommend it and the part number is
08798-9013). It is expensive but easily obtainable online. I have some. Unlike the spray-on stuff Shin-Etsu is thick like Vaseline and very easy to spread over the car’s seals with your finger without making a mess. I have an RF so I have lots of seals, and Shin-Etsu is definitely the stuff for the job.
Spray-ons are probably better and easier for things like rubber boots under the car. I am using 303 at the moment for that.
Be careful using ordinary spray (aerosol) silicone as I have read that some contain oils which destroy rubber. I have used various ones over the years and have never experienced that, but I am sure that Shin-Etsu (door seals etc) and 303 (rubber boots etc) are fine.

1 Like

I use this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/nextzett-91480615-Rubber-Stick-White/dp/B004B8GTQG
which is more or less the same as Jamesy1 showed above but maybe easier to apply. Again, quite expensive but lasts and works well.

Another vote for Gummi pflege

1 Like

You’ve prompted me to remember Shin-Etsu from my S2000 days. I think I may have some somewhere, thanks for the reminder.

For most of the interior plastics, engine bay rubber and plastics and all rubber seals I use this…

1 Like

thanks for all your replies, I’ll have a look at these products. I did try Halfords silicon spray, which works wonders on the seatbelt guides, but it simply helps the water to trickle between the window and the glass. Not sure what to get it off with … White spirit perhaps?

Avoid anything that might rot the rubber. I’d advise wiping off as much as you can with a clean rag then use one of the proper rubber treatments - 303, Autoglym or one of the others in this thread. You could then clean off the first coat to remove any residual Halfords before applying the final coat. Use Shin Etsu on the door seals … it is so easy and satisfying to apply and it just seems to be the right stuff.

Well, I tried GummiPfledge and, so far, it seems to work - especially relieved since I couldn’t leave the car cover on in the storms, though I did leave a folded towel on the floor where the damp patches appeaer and, so far, its remained dry.

I sprayed it liberally on a bit of rag and used that to apply it.

I did go over the seals with the gummi to clean off the silicon stuff as best I could, then left it an hour or so then re-did it. Will re-do it a couple of times an keep an eye open for developments! Thanks again - Richard

3 Likes

Can the Gummi Pflege be used on the rubber seals at the bottom of the door windows or will it smear the glass?