RF or not RF?

I’ve had a 2.5,a 3.5 rc and a 3.75 soft top
We now have had our rf for 3.5 years,the longest I’ve kept one and I still love it every time I drive it,37k in that time
The wind noise etc is acceptable to me and is expected
I would change for another rf but a new one would be the same so I’ve kept it,no regrets at all

2 Likes

Someone in my road has an RF in what looks like eternal blue. It’s very striking and I agree with other views that a coupe ND would be a very interesting prospect.

This came up in my newsfeed.
The most interesting pics are towards the end https://www.autoevolution.com/news/mazda-mx-5-miata-digitally-imagined-as-a-fixed-head-coupe-shooting-brake-145429.html

1 Like

Have you seen the full thread on Miata.net?

Has loads of different colour variations and the coupe as well as shooting brake:

4 Likes

I like those, especially the sportbrake concept.
Echoes of the BMW z4m and mazda rx8 in those images.

I love this! Wish I had the skills to fabricate it! :ok_hand:

1 Like

I don’t find mine difficult to reverse, and I hate reversing. I don’t get bothered by any wind noise either, but it’s my first convertible so I have no comparisons which I can make. I’ll just be glad when the 5 mile limit is revoked and I can take it out for a proper drive.

1 Like

Joined this topic rather late, but own an RF 1.5. Previously had three NC’s of which the True Red Sport was my favourite. Traded this in for an ND Icon, which did me for three years, before switching to the RF.
I wondered if I had made a mistake in purchasing the RF., having always been a rag top man, with Sprites and Midgets before the MX5.
I’m still a little unsure, but recently had my RF serviced and ventured into the showroom where I spotted a new soft top 1.5 Sport, which I fancied. Until that is, the salesman told me of the price increase. Afraid £28000 for a 1.5 is a little too rich for me. My RF has everything the new 1.5 rag top has. The RF feels and looks to me somehow sturdier and although I have to agree with many about losing the rag top feel, I’m now used to it and appreciate it’s lines. It’s something different for awhile, until the next one. Fancy the Lotus Elise, but we all dream. A good detailing also helped, mine is Black Mica which looks great polished but suffers after the rain.
Enjoy whichever model you have.

3 Likes

This is just lovely. The mk4 really does have nice lines :smile:

Yep, that shooting brake is the business. An MX5 hatchback? Where do I sign?

To me at least the “shooting brake” model in that shot is reminiscent of the Reliant Scimitar, quite nice but I really :heart: the lines of the coupe!!!

2 Likes

I had an rf. more problems with pulling out of junctions really, over the shoulder visibility poor. Reversing camera is great, get one if you can. BUT, I have owned all 4 Mx types and the rf is a poor convertible, bad buffeting. I replaced it with a soft top and am much happier. Just my opinion of course. They do look fantastic.

I admire your honesty and opinion.

I have had a 2 litre RF for nearly 2 years. On the test drive I was very concerned about the rear visibility. The blind spots reversing were frightening. I ordered with the factory fit rear camera and “movement” detectors. No worries at all. My wife and I took it to Switzerland via Germany. In Germany we were cruising at 100 MPH with the roof open. Yes it was a little noisy but exhilarating and felt in total control. Looks great too. There’s not many around so people notice. I usually drive without the windstop. I actually find it makes little difference to noise or wind.

2 Likes

I bought my first RF in Dec 2019. It came with the reversing camera and blind spot monitoring and i have no problems with reversing. My only concern is the blind spot caused by the plastic rear panels which were they clear glass or even plastic may resolve the problem you get at some awkward angled junctions
on some roads. I have had soft tops before , namely Sprite and Triumph Spitfire, and have driven my son’s mx5 NC hardtop. I would say the RF is more fun to drive than all of them and is so much lighter than my son’s NC that feels like a tank by comparison. Yes a fully retractable roof is better , but not that much better and i have not noticed increased wind noise until over 65 but not enough to be a game changer and the in my opinion superior looks of the RF and all year round practicality and extra security make it for me the better option. Cutting to the chase reversing an RF with reversing camera and and blind spot monitoring is a breeze and should not be of any negative concern. I really love both the soft top and the RF but RF serves my needs better.

Hi I have the RF GT Sports with lane detection and reversing camera which helps a lot, i hope this helps.

If security was a major concern, or if I was doing a lot of motorway driving I’d consider the RF. I’m happy to trade off security and high speed comfort for the extra enjoyment of a full top down drive. It does mean I take care where I park my softop, and in cities particularly, for overnight stays I’ll look at the hotel parking facilities carefully.

It’s personal choice. If I had both, and needed to get to the south of France quickly, I’d take the RF. For a weekend in the Cotswolds it would be the roadster.

Of course a PRHT is the answer…I’m quite jealous of my son’s when I contemplate a motorway run.

3 Likes

“I have had soft tops before , namely Sprite and Triumph Spitfire, and have driven my son’s mx5 NC hardtop. I would say the RF is more fun to drive than all of them and is so much lighter than my son’s NC that feels like a tank by comparison”.

Interesting what you say…
According to Parkers and used the same site for direct comparisons.
The current 2.0 GT RF weighs 1168 KG’s. (I don’t know the Maximum plated weight for this car).
From what I can see the the RF 1.5 models weigh around 1044 KG’s
The 2.0 3.75 NC PRHT weighs 1132 KG’s (2012-15). Maximum plated weight of 1375 KG.s.
So actually “lighter” than the RF like for like.

Obviously different characteristics of each car etc etc.
Of course, fuel, luggage, weight of people etc must all be taken into account when comparing.
Different driving methods/styles even different tyres.

I spent time in the Army with Chieftains, Scorpion’s and Challenger tanks and trust me the NC does not feel like a tank. :wink:

Interesting and thanks. :+1:

3 Likes

I’m guessing that the road-holding on those three is pretty phenomenal!!! :+1:

“Off topic I know”.
Not on this day!! :flushed:
Belize 1980.
One of the scariest moments of my life.
Came around the corner and saw my Troop Sgt’s Scorpion down the bottom.
Luckily the crew all got out safely. :+1:
Few beers that night!!

3 Likes