RF or not RF?

It’s called hyperbole, exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally.
Have a nice day.

Yes I did realise that. :slightly_smiling_face:
But thought I would give some comparisons “hyperboling” (as you put it) back.
Also confirming the RF is actually heavier than the NC like for like.
All the best and thanks. :+1:

Good tip about removing the windstop, I hadn’t thought of doing that but whilst out for a run yesterday I whipped it out and as you say little difference to noise or airflow but a better view out the back!
As far as reversing the RF is concerned I really don’t see what the issue is. Just use the mirrors. I am considering a rear view camera though!

2 Likes

Walked into a well known Mazda dealer on Sunday to get a “to change price” for my 1.5RF (69) against a new 1.5 SE-L in Eternal Blue. Asked for another grand on their original offer, plus 0% finance on the balance and hope to pick it up in a week or so.
On the RF: I liked the lines very much but missed the open top more than I thought.
On the SE-L: Was’nt prepared to pay the recent price increase for the Sport model.
Can live without leather and Bose, plus a couple of other features.It’s the same engine and interior. Will miss the reversing sensors. The model looks great with it’s black alloys, just needs a black boot spoiler to balance up the back.
Life is about experiences “don’t die wondering”.

3 Likes

…thanks for your feedback. I test drove both and loved the looks of the RF, and also like the idea of a “hard top”, but ended up going for the full soft top instead. Went for the higher spec model as I liked the idea of heated leather. No regrets so far but I often wonder if I would have preferred the tin lid version. But since we have had the car (12 months), we have probably done 99% of our motoring with the roof down as it is our “fun car” and as such we don’t tend to use it if it’s raining. Would probably be different if it was our every day car…

Thanks Stubod!
Glad I have tried the RF., but “old habits” as they say. You will have purchased your car before the model change (emissions) and price rises, which have just come in. Plenty on the forum about this. So I needed to draw the line somewhere. Only had the RF since Oct last.
Two seconds to take the roof down on the soft top…can’t beat it.
Nothing wrong with the RF model, just my previous experience with soft tops.
Enjoy your motoring, nice to speak to you.

2 Likes

Hi, thanks for responding on this thread. It’s been a treat. After much homework (like this thread) I found a 1.5 RF in just the colour I wanted at a Mazda dealer, with provenance back to original sale. I’m really happy with it, so thanks again for all of your comments.

1 Like

Hi. It’s the first time I’ve posted, but I have had my 2.0 lt. RF For nearly two years now and absolutely love it, so much fun to drive and like another post said I have no problems whatsoever with reversing or blind spots etc., it’s just a matter of positioning mirrors correctly, after all what do arctic lorries do ? I would like to add also I am a woman driver of 62.

3 Likes

Welcome to the chat Jandas…

It shows what a wide community we have and every driver can enjoy an MX5. The fact that you feel you need to add that you are a woman of 62 shows how it is accepted by all that people make generalisations.

As a man of 53 I would say that women are definitely safer drivers than men - certainly less aggressive/assertive than men - but that is a generalisation too…

I’m a bit confused, what is a “3.5 RF”?

I am hoping a 3.5 RF is a new 3500cc v8 top secret prototype, but I am guessing it is a PRHT mk3.5.

Ah! so it’s not really an RF, had me going for a mo’ there!

I drove both cars, must say I like the look of the RF with the roof up, and at 80mph it’s quieter than the soft top. But roof down the soft top looks a million times better. It’s also lighter and dropping or raising the roof is much faster. The RF is IMHO just a targa top not a convertible.
If it was a daily drive the RF is more civilised, but mine is a sunny days only car, and who buys a 5 for civilised driving :rofl: I have a Jaguar XFR for boring civilised driving, now that’s a car for people who don’t like cars!

Bottom line is we all have different tastes and needs. And luckily we have a choice of two.

As for weight, I had my 2016 2.0 sport nav on the weigh bride at work, just under 1/2 tank of fuel. It was 1055kg, bridge weighs to the nearest 5 sooooo.

2 Likes

Top up; the RF looks great.
Top down; the soft top looks so much better than the RF ‘Targa’ style.

I’ve not driven either and would generally prefer a folding hardtop, but with the ND I think I’d go with the soft-top version. I quite like the 30AE, but will stick with my NC 25AE at least for the time being.

Personally I think the RF buttresses offset the large derrière of the ND. But then I’m biased as an RF owner.
As for the concerns about 3/4 vision it’s no worse than ST top up or the lady I saw trying to reverse out a 2020 911 yesterday, or a lotus Elise or an Aventador or McLaren!!!

1 Like

Read a lot of reviews before I brought the RF, consensus seemed to be roof down convertible quieter than RF and roof up RF quieter than convertible, which did it for me as I do some motorway miles in the wet:-). Plus I leave the car out and about a fair bit and in my personal view people are less likely act like idiots with a tin-top than convertible, although to be fair I never had a problem with previous convertibles… Reversing is OK without the camera as it is still a pretty small car! Peter

1 Like