RF roof drains

1. My model of MX-5 is: __
  2. I’m based near: __
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __

What’s the best way of cleaning roof drains on an RF ?

Err, there isn’t! There are previous threads on this including one with photos of the whole system. When I say system I mean badly designed collection of tubes vaguely connected together in places, and apparently not even that it turned out on mine!
Best you can do is regularly hoick any clag, leaves, moss or seeds out of the holes in the rubber at the bottom corners of the rear window, and regularly vacuum out the rear parcel shelf so that the dry ones that waft in don’t pile up round the internal gratings behind the seats.

This should be the link that gives you the best info…

1 Like

There are some YouTube guides

4 Likes

Just posted on the miata forum might be of use here:

Read this thread with interest. Just bought 2019 rf with 6k miles. Hurried outside to check my drains with water poured from back window.

Drivers side ran freely. Passenger slide dripped slowly.

Without opening anything up I poured in by the same route about 400ml of cheap viscous Russian vodka (I mean you wouldn’t drink this stuff).

I retreated for 20 minutes to finish off last night’s curry and then flushed with water - now running freely. I think I will use this preventative medicine weekly.

Hope it helps some of you

2 Likes

I was thinking this whole time about whether or not it would be worth a try for some drain cleaner or in this case vodka as drain cleaner. I’ve heard of a chap using boiling water too, still trying to dry my passenger side carpets from the first time my roof-drain clooged! :frowning:

Speaking of which, anyone got any tips on how to dry out the carpets, without you know. Taking them out and drying them that way. Not wanting to completely replace only to find the roof drain is still leaking in a few days.

Buy a couple of kilos of rice, put the rice in a cloth bag (pillowcases are good) and leave it in the car. The rice will absorb moisture from the air in the car, acting as a dehumidifier. From time to time place the bag of rice in a warm oven and the rice will dry out ready to be reused.
Cheap and effective!

Hi all

First post for me so please be kind !?

Hope everyone is doing well and looking forward to better driving weather soon.

I picked up my first '5 (ND2 RF) approx. one year ago.

Long story short, I’m also looking for a solution to this issue, which has recently manifested (damp in cabin on passenger side).

I too was thinking about a chemical solution as a preventative measure.
Has anyone tried a degreaser in the drains, such as the ones you buy for prewashing? The bodywork-safe ones I mean.

Seems like RF owners are doomed to a regular cleaning regime :face_with_peeking_eye:

Cheers.
Adam (Kent section)

As per @RichardFX hot soapy water works well.
I applied mine with an indoor watering can

Thanks. Hot soapy water has to help for sure