RF Thoughts

So a few weeks in and I already have a few more thoughts and have changed my mind on a few bits and pieces.

First off, the ND has reminded me of why the MX-5 is the ultimate sports car. The way it feels pulling in second and third through the curves is just addictive. I think I’m preaching to the converted here but the ND cements what the NA perfected and that is doing more(fun, handling, grip) with less (power & weight). An impressive feat considering the level of driver comfort and features.

In terms of mods/improvements I went ahead and got an anti-slip mat which I secured between the headrest and the roll hoop. That sorted out the squeaking when the chair was all the way back.

I’ve also had to adjust my driving style slightly because of the short ratios, coming from driving mostly diesels recently I have found that I am more comfortable in a higher gear in the 5 than I would expect, often preferring 3rd when turning at intersections over second. That is also a testament to how good the bottom end torque is and how smoothly it pulls at very low RPM.

I’m starting to enjoy the exhaust note but I still find it a little flat at times. Maybe I will enjoy it in a few more weeks, who knows.

Much to my wife’s horror I have started to salivate over this:

The twin centre exhaust looks amazing to me. Yes I know it looks like the F-type but honestly, have you seen the F-Type? It’s gorgeous! Why wouldn’t I want it to look that good?

I also like the look of the Open Flash Tablet as a path to incremental improvements, anyone have one and can make recommendations?

The final thing and something I really miss from my previous car is a reverse camera. Given everything else that is on this car with the lane departure and blind-spot warning etc. you would think it would be included. Does anyone know of an aftermarket unit that will integrate with the OEM screen?

Thanks Andrew.

As Paddyman says, your exhaust should develop a more bass sound as it cokes up a bit, so that might be enough for you, but I agree that the F type lookalike system looks juicy.

Re the reversing camera, I think there must be an OEM system available as it is fitted as standard to all Fiat 124’s, and many non- UK market ND’s have them.

There’s a thread about this on the forum:

https://www.mx5oc.co.uk/forum/yaf_postst97108_ND-Reverse-Camera—DIY-Fit.aspx

Have had mine for a week now, only mods so far to enhance it are alloy footrest, smoked side indicators and a full Zun Sport ss grille, the car is I find quite awesome, and I don’t seem to be suffering from the "wind noise buffet, so all good.
But don’t know if you have noticed (same on ND) the side indicators lovely though they may be are a unit !, seems the bulbs are not changeable, they are what appears to be sealed units, so bulb fails but a complete unit.

Knew there was something else, re the "horrible plastic pipe " that send noise into the cabin as it goes up the rev range and removing it, seems DON’T !, it has a anti resonator built in where it bolts to the wing, removing the pipe system causes booming and droning from about 4K rpm, good write up on Miata.net re this, seems similar to not changing the other Mk’s induction pipes and their resonator boxes for the same reason, unless you are able to live with the noise .

I blocked mine, like this;

Thanks for the warning Paul, I like the approach Ian has taken as it makes no visual difference in the engine bay, I’ll probably try that first.

Looks good - is that upstream or downstream of the resonator and what are the noise effects through the range ?.

Engine side of the resonator, improves the cabin ambiance allowing you to add your own soundtrack in the exhaust department…  

Quick, cheap and instantly reversible, give it a try as a first option. 

Thanks Ian, yes will give it a go, need to look at piping as there is suction , surely wouldn’t it be better on upstream side of resonator ?, isn’t there (very remote chance) grommet could get sucked down into manifold if it broke up or even pivoted in pipe (is that possible ?), will have to go & dismantle & explore, b rgds, Paul H.

Reasonable points, must go and have a look at mine after a year and a half and see if it has deformed at all, it was a fairly solid grommet/blank that went in.

Thanks Ian, have pulled break down of the ducting system, seems complicated for a bit of noise although I understand the resonator (I removed my ducting on the Mk3 and fitted a Moss cold air system -bad move 4000rpm booming & droning, not good) think I will put my blank on the upstream side of the resonator, will advise how it goes etc, that’s tomorrows job, b rgds, PH.

Can you not just order the 1.5L engine piece of plastic pipe that doesn’t have the resonator as a cleaner solution, albeit more expensive?

@ Paul H - I would like to try the IL Motorsport smoked side indicator replacements, and understand about the bulbs being part of the original assembly. So I was think that I could get some orange LEDs to fit with the smoked replacements. What have you done?

Cheers …

Yes you could, would be interested to see the pricing. Engine size makes no difference for the tube it’s equipment level.

Hi, my parts manual only shows the 2.0 litre system but judging by that system the end pipe (resonator - bulkhead is some £ 57 plus VAT etc, am sure I have a blank or grommet in the shed that will do the job, so guess it is only the 2.0 litre that has a resonator then, is that right ?.

Re the smoked side indicators, just swopped them over as a unit, white out, smoked in, even the standard fitted clear units are completely sealed, unless I am missing some fiendish Japanese trick, I tried all ways to open them, they wont sealed at factory, so if bulb blows ? then it is a complete replacement. built in obscelecence, need to pursue further on all counts, b rgds, Paul H.

Ah, I thought the IL smoked ones let you fit your own bulbs? Are you saying they are sealed too, or did you source elsewhere?

I understood that none of the 1.5’s had the sound tube, not even sport in the UK, the US guys that carry out the delete use this part I believe.

Guys, personally I like all the noises my ND 2.0 Sport Nav makes. However if you don’t like the induction sound pipe (which makes the car sound like it is fitted with Webber carbs. If you remember those), wouldn’t it be safer and easier to plug or cover the sound tube aperture where it enters the passenger compartment? I would think that the resonator is a diaphragm that isolates the sound pipe from the induction system and  transfers sound waves from the induction system but prevents air bleeding into the induction system. You also need to be aware that not all rubber grades/types are resistant to petrol and if fitted to the induction side may be degraded by petrol fumes and soften. I would be very careful fitting anything into the induction side as someone has already stated, there is always the possibility it could be sucked into the inlet manifold (ouch!)

Paddyman, both the standard clear and the IL Motorsport units that MX5 Parts sell are, just been on the American site shows sealed units in variety of colours ?, but odd I have just looked at MX5 Parts listing for the smoked items, says that the bulbs are changeable unlike the original Mazda fit, when I put them in they certainly seemed like sealed units to me, couldn’t see a way of changing the bulbs, may have to pull one out tomorrow and check again, do remember it said 12v 6w on the moulding, the plot thickens, I will be back, watch this space.

First rider off, that sounds (pun !) more sensible - blank the pipe at the bulkhead, tomorrow’s job, will report back.

Another thought, being as the “resonator” need flow through it to dampen out the intake pulses etc, could the pipe be removed from the bulkhead (bulkhead sealed/closed/blanked) and the pipe be ducted into the engine bay to still allow free flow of air, also, presumably this system only operates at highish (4K rpm up ?) to allow air / noise into the cabin for effect,but surely then it is sucking air into the inlet manifold from the cabin area ?, doesn’t this mean that at that rpm it basically opens up another way for extra air to enter the inlet manifold (albeit unfiltered ?)being as it is a negative pressure (sucking) does this have any effect in weakening the mixture, ECU will compensate I guess but then that must mean that the “resonator” is a sort of non-return valve ?, just thoughts from an idle mind.