Road around Bedfordshire?

Looking for some great roads around bedfordshire, anybody live nearby and have any recommendations?

There are a number of options, depending on what you want, starting point & how far you want to drive as it’s also easy to link into some good roads in surrounding counties.

Send a message with what you’re looking for & we’ll get something back to you

Would like some nice country/B roads with a lot of corners - Something that’s fun & takes a bit of skill to drive. Anywhere within 20 miles of Bedford would be great.

Cheers

Sorry - just a quick reply  -  head for the B660 out of Bedford  -  EVO magazine use it for many of their First Drives.  I often squirt around it and neighbouring B roads and their usually traffic-free.

B645 from St Neots to Higham Ferrers also good

Enjoy !!

Cool, not too far away are they! Anything a bi further afield I should keep an eye out for?

Now just to get her running again…

Hi!  Try this sort of circular route out of Bedford and back.

Southward on A600 turn off for Haynes, Haynes Church End, over the A6 for Houghton Conquest, How End, turn right onto B530 for about 1km turn left for Stewartby and go over level crossing towards A421 with Marston Vale Country Park lake on your left.  At A421 turn left then immediately turn off right for Lower Shelton, Upper Shelton for East End there take the road that goes via Gossard’s Green to Astwood on the A422 turn right for Bedford.  If you want some really NARROW bits with limited visibility on bends etc., turn off for Stagsden and immediately after the church turn left and take the narrow, windy road up to the A428 where you turn right for Bedford.  Good luck!  Happy motoring!  For a change drive it in the opposite direction!

The above formed my cross-country route from the A507/A600 to Turvey on the A428.  Haven’t done it in my “5” yet, but it was great fun in my Civic Type R!  If you use old style proper maps you need the Ordnance Survey LR153.

That sounds fun, will check it out as soon as my car is alive. One great set of roads I found is heading through box end in kempston & just following the B roads down there (no idea what they’re called). Got lost the other day and found some cool places. Also the roads from new Cardington to Ireland are quite good.

I live in Essex and have friends in Turvey and I found loads of great little roads, not even “B” roads over that way, got lost many a time, but that was half the fun!  Some nice little runs around Harrold, Sharnbrook etc., if you can beg, borrow or buy the LR153 you will find it invaluable.  The best prices on O/S maps is a website - Dash4it.  Good luck!

And don’t forget to call in at Shuttleworth, the collection is a must and the gardens out the back are superb.

B660 between Bedford & Kimbolton has lots of speed restrictions now (Biker Safety), so is a lot better form Kimbolton going North to A1 or the reverse

B655 Barton Le Clay to Hitchin

A507 Baldock to Buntigford - easy to get stuck behind slow traffic, so may have to try a few times to appreciate this one fully

A600 Cotton End to Deadmans Cross - leave plenty of space/go slow coming out of Cotton End to take full advantage of hill…

then turn left at Rowney Warren woods towards Old Warden to pick up road from Old Warden to Cardington

Totally agree! On a good day (Early morning weekend usually for me) it has to be one of the most enjoyable runs around!  If you do it the other way round and at Baldock continue on the A507 to the A600 you can then pick up my cross-country route as mentioned previously!