Road-Trip 2022

Just back from a 5 week road-trip, delayed 2 years due to COVID.

Left Royal Hillsborough, Co.Down and journeyed to Bilbao via Rosslare Port……stayed in some wonderful places, and occasionally ( but only occasionally ) got it wrong…… we were conservative with the number of miles (or should I say km) we drove every day and have learned that we can push on a bit ( to get somewhere we really want to), instead of spending a night in a “road-house”, unfailingly pleasant but miles from anywhere.

Travelled west from Bilbao to Santiago de Compostella, then due south to Porto, Coimbra & Sintra, heading for the Algarve.

Santillana del Mar is a lovely introduction to Cantabria and Gijón & Oviedo make Asturias memorable. And Galicia, or “Celtic Spain” is aptly named- indeed driving the whole of the “green coast” from Bilbao to Santiago de Compostella is somewhat bizarre in that the whole northern coast is very reminiscent of Ireland- the antithesis of what I imagined driving in Spain to be like. Wet and misty in the mornings- clearing in the afternoons. Santiago is very special…we stayed in a converted convent…… fabulous……and it felt a bit like cheating to mix with the Camino pilgrims arriving in the city square having walked many km to get there along the “path of St James”. Interestingly there are many “Camino trails” and some of the walkers send their luggage ahead ( the local post-office vans deliver it) to the accommodation they’ve booked…. others take their chances and try to get a room when they get there meaning they walk quickly to avoid the resultant queue!

Crossing the border- Porto is a special place and our host is a German-speaking Swiss chap, who allowed me to park the Mx5 in his garage, beside his 2015 Triumph Bonneville……. which he assured me was the last of the air-cooled variety-apparently the newer models are all water-cooled.

You get the picture!

Coimbra came next…… not new to us ……so starting to get more confident now, and then on to Sintra, near Lisbon, again an old friend.

Then a 200 km dash to Lagos in the Algarve and a weeks rest ( and a washing machine!) in our habitual apartments.

Then east to Tavira for 3 nights, before turning north to Beja, Évora and Castelo Branco. Guarda was the last Portuguese stop, then back into Spain to Salamanca….and the start of the return to Bilbao…….

Valladolid & Burgos also beautiful- and the road between Burgos & Bilbao takes you over (&through!) the mountains to the coastal strip of the “green coast”……… reminding us of when we started out and returning to Celtic Spain, from the dry, dusty, almost arid plains from whence we came.

Yes, we will do it again….different route this time, maybe Chunnel and down through France. I really want to see Seville in Spain and then it’s easy to travel on to Portugal!

2024 maybe?

Lessons……. stay at least 2 nights in each stop…… and maybe drive a little further between stops to make it worthwhile.

The 2010 NC Mx5 did well…… we were fully loaded, about 12kg in the boot and 10 kg on a boot rack. We used a “Revo-Rack”, which attaches with 3 vacuum suction pads…. similar to how some of the motoring journalists attach cameras to cars….This ensures no damage to the boot lid ( aluminium on the NC Mx5) and is rated up to 20kg @ 80 mph (from memory). One takes it off every day and I carried a little spray bottle of water to ensure good vacuum attachment the next day. It literally takes 2 minutes. And it never moved……

37 mpg average over approx 1800 miles….

Checked the oil in Sintra…… I thought it might be prudent; apart from that, nothing.

The car is a virtually standard base model 1.8……no LSD and no air-con……but that may be half the charm ! I fitted oem fog lights and both of the stalks at the steering column are changed. The one on the left operates the lights, and the new one incorporates the (now required) fog light switch , whilst the one on the right operates the wipers, is from an Rx8 and features the variable interval intermittent wipe. For some strange reason Mazda fitted the Mx5 with a single (fixed) interval intermittent wiper switch, whilst the Rx8 got the rheostat…but they’re “plug & play”, so an easy mod.

We also carried an “Enkei” alloy space-saver spare ( in bright yellow), from a 1994 (!) Rx7. Same central aperture & same bolt circle. Oh, and a torque wrench!

I’m a bit funny about wheel nut torque settings.

The best mod? Two 5/8 inch rubber walking-stick tips which fit over the rubber “stops” on which the hood rests when it’s in the down position. This restores the slight “bounce” upwards when you release the hood from the lock-down mechanism and makes for a more solid area behind your head.

The NC has been well cleaned…… ever try getting factor 50 off the door cards……?

Best wishes to all

DC

8 Likes

5/8” rubber walking stick tips

Hi David, A really interesting trip part of which my wife and I did a few years ago. Bilbao - Salamanca - Ericiera - Porto - Bilbao, in our Citroen 2CV. Did you pre-book your hotels or just roll up and search for somewhere? We loved Porto apart from the preponderance of dog muck in the streets and have enjoyed Portuguese Red wine ever since. Picos de Europa was amazing when the lack of filling stations almost caused us to run dry. Now we must try your route in our Mk2.
(Later) After giving it some thought, we did Bilbao - Aragon -Bilbao in our 2CV, and the other trip in our BMW118.

1 Like

it looks that the trip was a success.
Love the rack as well. I will get one too :+1:

1 Like

Yeah, I always had some doubt- and that prob kept our speed down. Terrified that it might come off, especially in windy high passes in the mountains along the north coast of Spain. Kept thinking if my 10kg bag hit a motorcycle……but no, it was completely stable- just keep checking the (3) vacuum pumps. If they lose (or start to lose) the vacuum the plunger comes out revealing a “red band”. If no red band is present- the vacuum is ok. We used an “Oxford T45” bag on the rack…… designed for motorcycle use- and thus waterproof as opposed to water resistant with sealed zips etc. No probs. Thanks for reply

1 Like

We booked everything….and used Booking.com for the whole trip. The app makes it easy to communicate with each hotel/guesthouse, especially useful if you want to confirm parking arrangements etc. We didn’t want to spend everyday looking for a place to stay that night…… but in retrospect we got it wrong a few times and found ourselves a bit off the beaten track- instead of pushing on a bit to something more “exciting “…… but we were learning as we go along: always easy in retrospect! Thanks for reply

Great write up, thanks for sharing.

The third brake-light isn’t standard on the Revo-rack…. and unfortunately they were out of stock of their proper one when I tried to order it.

Not sure of the legality of a bag on a rack obscuring the standard third brake-light, especially in Spain, so I bought the additional light and the red clips on eBay, and broke into the circuit at the back of the boot. Put two identical male connectors on the original third brake light and the additional brake light and a female connector on the other end…… so when I had the rack on, it’s brake light was connected, and for example when we had a few days “off” and the rack came off, the original third brake light was plugged in. Anything to avoid the attention of the policía municipal……

4 Likes

I was last in Portugal in 2002. What struck me was the high price of petrol at the rate then of 1Eu or 63p per litre. Their average wage was reported to be a third of ours - so in real terms their petrol was £2 a litre, compared with ours at the time.

Changed times! We were paying 1.73 euro per litre in September, or thereabouts.
We shopped around and felt we paid less in Portugal than we did in the UK. But then the Euro/£ exchange rate has dropped alarmingly…

1 Like

We just got back from a 3 week tour via the Santander ferry. Did you spot that you paid less than the pump price in Spain :es:?
We thought it might have been just cash, but applied using the card too.
Apparently they deduct some form of VAT/Tax. :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

1 Like

I didn’t actually notice this…. and studying my fuel receipts ( all card payments), I can’t be sure …… having said that, it’s difficult to decipher what’s going on, not being familiar with the language & the various abbreviations used for the Spanish taxes.
Thanks

What an inspirational post. Thanks for sharing. I’ve been thinking of doing something similar elsewhere on the Continent

2 Likes

Thanks for that.
Where are you considering??

Praça Infante Dom Henrique, Lagos, Algarve.

Would love to go around Norway, Sweden, Denmark. We also have friends and family in Netherlands and Italy so that could be a good one to do too. The advantage of your trip is the ferry trip takes away most of the initial trek leaving the rest for the actual “experience”.

Good morning- yes ferry saves time and wear & tear on the car - but it’s a 27 hour crossing from Rosslare to Bilbao! Outward sailing was ok……homeward rough in Bay of Biscay…or maybe I’m just not great on boats……makes Belfast / Cairnryan a walk in the park (2hrs ish)

Another option is a boot bag from a couple in Banbury who I think also sell the Revo rack. I used ne for a two week trip (admittedly only to Cornwall) when I first got my NC. At that time they didn’t do a high vis light but had one put together for me, it velcroed to said bag. A great invention. When you leave the car you can put the bag in the car for (a bit more) safety. The capacity is more than the boot it’s led I’d say

Similarly we removed bag & rack if we stopped somewhere enroute & put both inside the car with the roof up…. but both brought into accommodation overnight…

2 Likes

Hi
In the last 5 years we have had three/ three week road trips from Bilbao through Spain and Portugal, all stops booked through booking .com.
We took the mountain route to Santiago the first time and the roads were stunning and empty.
The last two we headed straight for the East Central Portugal which is a wonderful area to explore Portugal’s rich history.
Everywhere was cheap(apart from the Algarve where our rellies live) and the natives very friendly.
If you pay sensible money you get beautiful private air conditioned small hotels with pools and very attentive owners.
I wish I had got near to your MPG but 33mpg in a 2 litre NC 3.5 in over 30 degrees of heat was the best I could manage.
Like you I would thoroughly recommend these roads less travelled.
Cheers
Chris

1 Like