Road trip 2024 Northern Spain

All planned & booked for this Summer. Basque Country, Navarra, Aragon and Catalunya. Portsmouth to Bilbao on Brittany Ferries then heading east into the Pyrenees staying in Anso. Then east along the Pyrenees to Olot, hoping to have a day along the Mediterranean coast north of Barcelona. Next heading back west to Albarracin for a couple of nights then north to Zaragoza. Finally, heading North back to the Atlantic coast to Lekeitio between San Sebastián and Bilbao. We have opted for mainly 3 and 4 night stays in each place this year so we can explore around the area and find some great driving roads, especially in the Pyrenees! The trip will take 3 weeks.
Here’s a picture from our road trip last year in the Dolomites and northern Italian lakes. The MX5 was utterly brilliant!

6 Likes

sounds fantastic… :smiley:

The big advantage of the ferry from Portsmouth to Spain is that it takes you straight to the MX5 playground cutting out a long drive down through France which can be rather tedious at times. I love the Alps and Provence and the Pyrenees but getting there can be less than ideal. Factor in the fuel and overnight accommodation and meal costs and the ferry is actually quite competitive. In addition, the ferry is really relaxing because you have no choice but to travel at its pace and I also like the idea of still travelling whilst fast asleep!

2 Likes

Every best wish for a great trip.
Did Belfast to the Portuguese Algarve via Rosslare- Bilbao Brittany Ferry, west along the Spanish “ Celtic Coast” to Santiago de Compostella, then due south, through Porto, Lisbon area and on to Lagos.
Loved it, and currently planning for Sept ‘24
DC

That corner of NW Spain, Cantabria, Asturias & Galicia is wonderful and so unlike the rest of Spain. More like the West coast of Ireland, Scotland or the Brittany peninsula, very green. As you say, very Celtic. The people are so friendly and the seafood is fantastic. Highly recommended, especially in an MX5!

If you have time, head a bit further west to San Vicente de la Barquera, then inland to Potes. There’s a hotel near Potes called el Oso ( “the bear”), I did that trip a few years back in my then NC, those roads were just made for that car. ( The area by the way is the famous Picos de Europa) and if you go a bit further inland there’s an incredible cable car up one of the mountains, at “Fuente de”. It’s worth a couple of days in the area, one of my favourite places in Europe

I completely agree! We had a 3 night stay in the Picos & visited both Potes & Fuente de. Only about one and a half hours drive from the ferry at Santander if I remember correctly.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.