Roads in Spain

I’m at this moment watching British Eurosport wich is taking Pictures live from La Vuelta ( the spanish cycle ride around Spain.

I notice the roads seem magnificent for MX5s

They are travelling from Cadiz to Arcos de la Frontera through the mountains.

Well worth a look on a rainy afternoon.

If you get hold of the September ‘Bike’ magazine there’s a free supplement giving 50 routes to ride in Spain, all the routes are downloadable free from their website. Besides being great biking routes, I suspect they will also be great MX5 routes.

http://www.ride.co.uk/Routes/Spain/ 

There are so many routes that in our club we make two, or three routes per month. Take into account that Spain is very hilly, maybe the idea of a great route for us can vary from yours: if its flat around, the road tends to be straight.
Any way, if thinking of coming down here, no need to go much further of Santander/ Bilbao ferry or French boundary. Believe me.

I like the sound of that. 

At this time of year which are the best accessible routes to go thru the Pyrenees from Spain to France?  preferably including a tunnel or two :slight_smile:

Why go to Spain Jo,  Why not come to Ireland with us next year,  We are going to do the Atlantic Coast, All things being equal. 

Cos we’re already booked, Mal. :slight_smile:

Ireland is another year. I was last there for the Tall Ships races out of Waterford ten years ago.

I’m hoping the Viehla tunnel will be accessible.  PH people feedback that the N240 is a rather good route. 

Got to get thru three days of work before we stay our way South. And looking to do the compulsory pic with the Milau Viaduct as we pootle about la Belle France :smiley:

Agree with the comments about exciting/bendy roads in Spain - especially in the South - and unless you are being really stupid the local Police aren’t that fussed about speed. However be warned that away from the motorways speed cameras have no warnings and are often hidden in innocent looking things like mile posts - small concrete pillars at the side of the road. Pot holes can also be a major issue on country roads - a great hazard for our low slung cars and local authorities are not liable for any damage you may suffer as a result. There are a series of pot holes in a road I frequently drive in Andalucía and they have been there for at least three years and getting deeper!!

We did over 2,000 miles in Spain last year. In 18 days. Cruise ferry to Santander then down to Seville, across to Granada and Cordoba then back to Santander. With loads of stops, of course - stayed in some wonderful places. Roads in general were fab. Even the motorways are great 'cos there’s very little traffic on 'em. Probably gonna do it again next year. My avatar was taken in Zagrilla Alta near Priego de Cordoba.

I can now heartily recommend Spain even tho we were passing thru

To get somewhere quickly - great motorways and new ones being built all the time - then use the gained time to utilise the yellow roads. 

We m’wayd our  way toPamplona from Santander one very wet morning

The afternoon brought glorious sunshine which matched the roads leading into the snow-capped Pyrenees littered with acoustic-enhancing tunnels

France was,subsequently,  great but this is about Spain :slight_smile: