Rocker cover question

Planning ahead for sympathetic mods and tidying up exercises, I’ll be looking for a rocker cover to clean up and paint.

Are there MK2 1.6 and 1.8 covers interchangeable? In fact, are the Mk1 and Mk2 covers also the same?

Cheers!

Well there are no rockers on a MX5, it’s a cam cover…putting that to one side, what model and engine size are you working on as there are several variants of cover depending on ignition coil type, cam variable timing and so on

NBfl - MK2.5

BTW.

“Your cam cover, otherwise known as a rocker cover or valve cover sits right at the top of your engine. They’re usually made of aluminium and their function is to cover your engine’s valve train.”

I’m old. It’s the term we used to use.

]

NBFL all mod con vvt 1.8 cam cover, see above, is not interchangeable with a NBFL (non vvt) 1.6 cam cover as the latter does not have a valve to control the vvt built into it.

Hope that helps.

2 Likes

Thank you. I know nothing of the 1.6 lump, so wasn’t aware it was non vvt.

vvt was introduced for all 1.8 engines with the NB face lift in the 2002 model year :wink:

1 Like

Yeah, I knew 1.8 had VVT added, but wasn’t aware that the 1.6 didn’t.

FWIW the 2005 1.8 we picked up yesterday is much more nippy than either the 1.8 NA or the 1999 1.8 NB we had back in the day. So they VVT seems to do the job.

1 Like

Wanted a red MX5 on a rainly day and ended up with an '02 S-VT could just as easily picked up a 1.6. Only when I got it home did I realise all the goodies it came with :wink:

:grin:

Very happy with our purchase. Still aiming to fit a 'charger, but the engine is so sweet I don’t feel a need to rush into it.

1 Like

If we’re splitting hairs, the workshop manual calls it a cylinder head cover.:wink:

1 Like

I’m older than the workshop manual, so I win!

Resurrecting an old post I know, but I’m planning to polish up the cam cover on my 1.6 NA

I assume it’s made of aluminium?

If it is I have the necessary equipment and stuff nudded leftover from the Jag E-Type resto

Yes it is.