Roddisons NC 2.5 conversion

Hi all,
Been a long time away but can’t stop thinking about my old NC! My world has moved on a bit and if I was to come back to the mx5 fold it would be to do something a bit special…

With that in mind I Wondered if anyone on here had had a roddisons 2.5 conversion?
Just wondering what it ended up costing and what you thought of it?

Obviously will speak to them directly if I decide to go ahead but if I can save bothering them with you guys awesome knowledge then I will!

Ideally I would go 2.5 and then consider tuning options, either forced induction or NA depending on whats available…

If anyone can share any first hand experience it would be super helpful!!

Thanks

Hi Goatboy
Was in a similar position myself. Looking at best upgrade options and costs. V6, 2.5, turbo, supercharged…
I decided that getting any conversions to a stock car was going to be expensive, particularly when you added in chassis, brake and tyre upgrades. Certainly wouldn’t get anything like your money back when it came time to sell.
I kept looking and eventually got a 2.5 supercharged car with Ohlins, big brakes etc, etc for half what it would have cost to build.
Very, very quick car and personally I prefer the power delivery of a supercharger to turbo.
Just think carefully about conversion costs vs residual value.
Good luck.

Thanks Fangio,
I think I saw the advert for your car. Complete bargain! I was so excited reading the spec was gutted when I realised it was sold :joy:

How do you like it, bet it’s an absolute blast.

Hi Goatboy
Fantastic car. Very docile at normal speeds and because it looks stock its a real wolf in sheep’s clothing. It certainly gives very expensive machinery a wake up call…

I have changed the anti roll bars to RX8 orange dot to improve the ride on our roads, particularly as the car is so stiff anyway with the IL chassis braces and properly fixed in half roll cage.
I am in two minds about keeping her as my wife and I have just retired and we want to do a lot of travelling, so the car will now get very little usage… I love it, but its an expensive toy to just sit there.

1 Like

Hi “Fangio”, or should that be Dino?
How did you find the Ohlins performed, I had thought about them but I was worried the spring rates would make the car too stiff?
I currently have Bilstein B6s fitted and they are on the acceptable side.

Hi Goatboy
Dino indeedy…
My previous MX5 had Meister R Club Race and I did find those too stiff for road usage (even with standard ARB’s)
The Ohlins are better and they are with BBR’s preferred set up of 7kg front and 5kg, instead of 4kg, rears. Though maybe the rear is a little too bouncy sometimes, but I do have the 4 kgs as an option to go back to if need be.
I think maybe the best compromise are the Meister R Zeta CRD coilovers if your car is mainly used on the road.

@fangio246 congrats on retiring I see that you are in two minds on keeping the car, sounds like a great build, similar to what I am looking for. If you would think about selling, please let me know.
Thank you.