Roof rattle

Help wanted please.

1. My model of MX-5 is: NC3.5 PRHT
  2. I’m based near: _King’s Lynn_Norfolk
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __Roof rattle
    Hi,
    After half an hour or so of driving with the roof down, a rattle/creak starts up from somewhere behind the passengers left ear. But if I raise the rear deck a fraction then close it immediately before driving off, it never occurs. It’s as if it requires two goes for the roof to stow fully.
    I wondered if anyone could offer a diagnosis?
    Many thanks.

Tighten the two bolts beside the A pillar that capture the roof spud. Do both sides just to be sure.
Personally, I removed the bolts and added some thread lock.

1 Like

There’s a shiny silver bolt on each side that keeps the mechanism teeth tightly meshed.
They have a reputation for coming loose, so well worth checking

Many thanks. I’ll have a go tomorrow morning and let you know how I get on.

If it continues after tightening what’s been suggested above, get the equivalent of a double sided sticky pad (in black of course) and stick it to the male counterpart of the meeting point prong type things at left and right of the windscreen were the folding roof meets the screen top, above the sun visors.
Cured my niggle in a flash :sun_with_face:

Well, I managed to tighten the bolt on the offending side by a quarter of a turn, so hopefully this will resolve the rattle. Unfortunately a road test will have to be deferred until I can get some petrol!

1 Like

Rattle is when roof down :man_shrugging::sunglasses::sunglasses:

The good news is that I managed to get some petrol and have a test drive. The bad news is that the roof still creakes when closed, unless I open it twice in quick succession.
I noticed a steel cable on the left which has two locking nuts halfway along. Could this be the source of my rattle, I wonder?

Pretty sure that’s the roof hook cable. If there’s nothing untoward or excessively worn then it
sounds like it might be a lubrication issue.

The guru you seek is fastredrat :~

https://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=717378

Many thanks. I’ll attack it with some silicone grease and see if that helps.