Roof treatment

1. My model of MX-5 is:2007 Mk3 (Soft top)__
  2. I’m based near: Sothend-on-Sea__
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: Soft top care
    From the general topic replies, there does not seem to be a winner in which product or products you should use. Fabsil Gold, Renovo, Autoglym, Protex & others. The car has been stored and the roof is not very dirty, do I have to clean it? There is a slight light colour where the metal work touches the roof. I presume that this may need dying again in this area or should I do the whole roof. I would like it to run with water after treatment as it will be now be outside. Any advice welcome.__

From when I owned a Mk3 soft top.
When washing the car I hosed the top down and wiped it over with a mild soap dilution, something like baby bath liquid soap. Every 3rd/4th time washing the car I repeated the process, in-between that I just hosed it and wiped it over with a microfiber cloth.
I have around every six months used to treat it with Fabsil although some say it’s not necessary as the top has a rubberised base layer. The Fabsil helps with the beading effect but didn’t seem to last long.

My particular hood looked really smart for a then 14 year old car before selling it.

You can get an half cover if keeping outside to just protect the hood. Especially good in winter or you are parked near or under trees etc.

I’ve re done my nc’s roof in may . 3 washes to get all the dirt off . 2 coats of black dye . 1 coat of sealer i used Renovo. Will give it a clean then one more coat of sealer before the winter.

Thanks for your comments, I have by the way already bought the half cover as you suggest.

1 Like

What product make did you use?