Rough Idling

1. My model of MX-5 is: 2.0L Kendo Electric Roof Year 2011 (61) - 44k miles.
  2. I’m based near: Carlisle
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: rough idling moving between 700 and 900 rpm repeatedly today - had been idling beautifully since purchase July 2018 with 31k miles. Car not used for few months on the drive, recharged battery and started OK idling OK for 2 weeks till this morning… Tried to leave it idling 2 hours hoping ECU will “reset” to no avail. Regularly serviced (annually).

Charged battery on or off the car and was it absolutely flat?

Have you been anywhere in it (miles) or have you just left it idling on the drive?

I would as a first call drive the car if you haven’t (restrictions permitting) a few miles it could well need it if you haven’t already done so.

As a second try disconnect the battery and do as above, hope you’ve got the radio code some need them if you have the original head unit.

My NC1 has a really lumpy/wobbly idle following a battery disconnect or change. To the point that it feels like it’s on the brink of stalling when pulling up to junctions. It’s happened quite a few times, and usually sorts itself out after sitting on the drive and idling for 20-30mins and driving around for 50-100miles. It’s never been an exact science for me but it seems to correct itself after a week or so by combining the above.

There should be a sequence to go through listed somewhere on here in order to stabilise idle speed after a battery change.
Try searching for “idle speed”

I’ve had my battery off numerous times, the leave idling fix is the one that works best.

Thanks and good to know! :sunglasses:

Here you go!

“Put the key in position 1 for one minute turned off 1 minute…started car let Idle for 20 minutes then turned every electrical item on and let Idle for another 5 minutes…then did the DSC reset then went for a 20 minutes drive,…it now drops and stops at 800 like hitting a brick wall…best it’s ever been since purchased a couple of months ago…fingers crossed it stays this way”

3 Likes

That’s my write up thought I recognised it… :grinning:

Also make sure terminals really tight.

3 Likes

I actually have it written on a piece of paper kept in my centre console for future reference