Rubbing when turning left

1. My model of MX-5 is: 2005 NBFL 1.8
  2. I’m based near: Central Scotland
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on:

I have noticed when I am at speed (40mph+) and I turn the steering wheel slightly left I am getting a rubbing noise and vibration through the steering wheel. I am fairly sure the noise is coming from the drivers side front. It may be unrelated but one of the last times out I was at a track day and had a slight “moment” when I went through a gravel trap. My under tray was full of stones - loads of them. I thought I had them all out but now I am thinking there may still be one stuck somewhere rubbing on something. I am going to get the wheels off this weekend and have a look but aside from finding something obvious like a stone stuck anywhere is there anything else I should look for?

Thanks

Falkirk here as well Stu.
I think…I used to see yours now and then around.
If you had an offski…I’m thinking John @ Progrip might be a good idea to check alignment…after youve had the rim off and checked inner discs etc.

Hi there - small world! Yeah there are a couple going around, mine isn’t out nearly as much as it should be though!

I’ll pop the wheels off and have a look, it’s due to go back to John around June for another service and alignment. When I bought the car last year he gave it a once over and serviced it then fitted some upgraded suspension pieces and new wheels and tyres too - he is excellent at what he does, very thorough and knows his stuff!

I just thought…maybe warped back plate Stu.
They ain’t exactly robust.
Anyway, here are ours both…you might have seen them around.

Lovely! I’m sure I have seen the Mk1, looks great!

1 Like

UPDATE: I stripped the fronts down to see if there was anything obvious. I checked for play with the wheel on but in the air and there was none. With the wheels off there was also nothing obvious/jumping out at me. I checked the discs for warping also and I couldn’t see anything. Very frustrating!

I decided to bite the bullet and ordered new wheel bearings/hubs (figuring they are now 16yr old anyway so it won’t do any harm to replace them). I also ordered new front discs, the current ones were perfectly usable but thought I’d change them out anyway just in case there is some small warping going on.

Fitted it all last night, took it for a run and it’s perfect now - no noise and everything feels smoother. Success!

Waiting on an appointment to get the alignment checked over as well just so it’s ready for the next track day, whenever that is!

Waiting on an appointment to get the alignment checked over as well just so it’s ready for the next track day, whenever that is!
You could always make do with the town centre one-way system.
It was mental enough today…utter twats & retards!

Aaah I try to avoid the town in the MX5, as soon as people there hear a moderately louder exhaust they think you want a race!