Run to Ashbourne and on to Great British Car Journey 06/10/22

What: Run to Ashbourne and on to Great British Car Journey

When: Thursday, 6th October 9:30am depart, 18:00 (latest) leave the museum

Cost: It depends how many of us there are and on your age! Maximum price to enter the museum is £16 per adult. Concessions for groups of 12+ and over 65s. Please see: Directions, Open Hours & Prices - Great British Car Journey

Menu for the cafe at the museum: GBCJ_Cafe_menu_2022.docx

Please post here or in the Facebook group if you can come, thank you!

Going (so far):
Mike and Anna (organising)
Chris Davis
John Shuck
Lynn and Roy
Ben and Marg
Chris and Christine

Joining in Ashbourne (NEM members):
Steve and Rachel Thompson
Ann and David Mortiboys
David and Anita Tidman
Nigel Beardsmore
James

Details:

• Meet at the Costa Drive Thru on the A449/M54 roundabout on the outskirts of Wolverhampton at 9:15am for a c. 9:30am depart. Access to Costa’s car park is the service road after the A449 southbound and before the M54 westbound exit - you leave the roundabout as though you are visiting the Porsche garage and drive all the way around it.
  • Drive to Penkridge via A449, take the Teddesley Road to Brocton, on to Milford, then Tixall, and back towards Stafford to pick up the A518 where it heads out via the County Showground. This is the most complicated part of the route but it’s quite a nice run and won’t be busy at the time we drive it.
  • Take the A518 all the way to Uttoxeter, then the A50 towards Derby, and A515 to Ashbourne, arriving by 11:00am.
  • Parking will be in Shawcroft Car Park in Ashbourne off the A517 Park Road, postcode DE6 1GD where we will hopefully meet up with NEM members. Car park information: Ashbourne - Derbyshire Dales District Council
  • Have coffee and/or wander around Ashbourne in small groups, followed by an early lunch then leave at approx. 1pm for the museum, which is about 30 minutes away.

Some cafes that look good:

Travelling to the museum is straightforward from Ashbourne:

• Take the A517 east to Belper
  • Join the A6 Matlock Road and head north through Ambergate and the museum is situated off the A6

An alternative would be to detour around Carsington Water, but that may be a bit much to fit in unless we’re ahead of schedule.

We will arrive at the museum for by 2pm, where there is also a cafe if you haven’t had lunch. The remainder of the day will be spent at the museum (as long as you wish up to 6pm). Head home separately or in groups.

Note: Drive Dad’s Car (where you pay extra to drive one of a selection of their vehicles) is not available on this day, but Anna and I will be going on another date (TBC) to do that.

Route overview:

Hi Mike,

I would like to joi this run, thanks for organising it.

Regards

Chris Davis

1 Like

Hi I would love to do the Ashbourne run
John

1 Like

This is fast approaching so please let me know if you would like to join this run and I don’t already have you listed in the first post, thanks!

Please include Ben & Marg in your list.

1 Like

Hi Mike
Is it ok if a few of us from the North East Midlands area meet up and join you at Ashbourne for your great British car journey?
Regards
David Mortiboys
Joint Coordinator

Hi David

That would be great! Do you have a list of NEM members that will come, please? I have not decided yet whether we will have lunch in Ashbourne or when we get to the museum. This depends on people’s preferences and our headcount. I’ll also setup a WhatsApp group to share my live location and updates with anyone that wants to be in it.

I’m looking forward to meeting some NEM members :blush:

Mike

Hi Mike

So far, Steve and Rachel Thompson, Ann and David Mortiboys, David and Anita Tidman. Nigel Beardsmore.

We will be on the Shawcroft Car Park Ashbourne on the A517 Park Road, DE6 1GD as this is a big car park next to a supermarket.
We will be there around 10:45 am to 11:00.
Regards
David

1 Like

With the NEM members joining us in Ashbourne, when we arrive at the museum we should have approx. 17 people and 10 cars :grinning: The museum’s cafe menu is available for you to view (link in first post) but I intend to look for places in Ashbourne or between Ashbourne and the museum that have a more extensive menu for an early lunch. I’m treating food at the museum as a fallback. I will get in touch with the museum to see how they would cope if we turned up wanting lunch and have not preordered food so leave it with me.

Add. Me to not on duty that day James

1 Like

Hi James

I’ve added you to the list of NEM members meeting us in Ashbourne.

Mike

Thanks to everyone that came yesterday, it was a great day! A small selection of the photos:

1 Like

And a few more: