Rust Prevention for new MX-5 RF

1. My model of MX-5 is: __ND2 (5 days old!)
  2. I’m based near: __South East England
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __Underbody protection

Hi,
I am thinking of taking my new RF to “The MX5 Restorer” near Eastbourne.
Does anyone on this forum have experience of their work please (specifically in relation to underbody treatment)?
Thank you!

I reckon they have a good reputation, read loads of posts of members using them.

Easier done if it’s brand new or not started to rust yet, go for it.

1 Like

Is it going to be a daily driver through the winter?

If so get it done as the road salt is the killer.

If only summer use, it won’t rust for years.

Regardless get into a habit of pressure washing the wheel arches and underside after winter to wash off any salt, this is all most cars need, and sadly not many do it, and wonder why their cars rust.

Thanks both - Most helpful.

I shall get it done by these people then.

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your suggestion. I have had a look for Mr Vaid online but I do not have a Facebook account, so it seems that communication could be difficult.

I intend to have the work done in June, when my daughter will be available to give me a lift home - and take me back, when the car is ready.

It does seem that underbody treatment on a new car (in the summer) is probably the best time to do this.

Thanks again to all who have helped with your thoughts!

I have a car that was undersealed by a famous restorer of MX5s two years ago. There is rust leaching through the underseal. Anand Viad has seen the job they did. The car is going to Anand in a couple of weeks for the single coat of part-done, part-missing underseal to be removed and the whole job to be done with Anand’s usual 4 coats.

The same people also charged the previous owner for a timing belt job on this car, and did not do a water pump while in there - on a 20 year old car.

Caveat Emptor.

1 Like

Wouldn’t Mazda query this underbody treatment on a brand new car, and their ability to carry out their anti-perforation checks?
Rob

2 Likes

The anti perforation warranty is an absolute joke so wouldn’t worry about that too much.
I believe any reasonable rust prevention job on a new car is money well spent. Damn sight easier than later treatment and will definately add appeal and value for the future.

1 Like

Given the disgraceful lack of MX5 rust prevention even on new NDs, Mazda have no right whatever to make any comment on anyone getting proper rust proofing done.

By the way, I sold Mazdas for the last 10 years of my working life in pretty much a rust free country, but I cannot be on their side with this deliberate planned obsolescence. It is ridiculous that people are having to have their new cars rustproofed when this is an easier and cheaper job to do in the factory.

1 Like

I agree with you… I worked at a Mazda dealership myself between 2006 and the end of 2012 - I was in the workshop often, and looked underneath many Mazda’s, 2’s, 3’s, 5’s, 6’s, RX-8’s and MX-5’s, and the rust especially to all the components bolted on underneath was atrocious…
I was just asking the question because I don’t want to see the OP have “issues” with Mazda or his dealership…

Thanks all!

I think I shall use the people near Eastbourne. I am also encouraged that they have a proper website and most likely covered by full insurance.

You pays your money and you takes your choice.

Has anyone got phone number, email address or physical address for Anand Viad? Have had no luck yet I understand he’s very good. If you have used him, where did you take your car?

Not many JDM cars are kept on the road for long enough for rust to be an issue.

Mazda would need to make extra-proofed cars for northern Europe and the non-dry US states, and I can’t see that happening.

I would like anan viad contact too. I’m not on Facebook. Can anyone help please :pray:

Hi, you can reach Anand on 07873 293817, he is a highly regarded practitioner in his field and very helpful with expert advice.