Rust proofing mk3

Ive had my NC3 for a few weeks and finally got a chance to get it up on ramps the other day. I couldnt believe the amount of rust on the rear of the vehicle, diff, suspension components etc. ive no doubt it isnt as bad as it looks, but it does look bad. The car is a 2007 and its been a long time since ive had a vehicle this old so maybe all cars go like this after 6 years, but i doubt it. Anyway, i want it addressed before the winter sets in, so has anyone in NI had their vehicle prepped and rustproofed? If so, who, how much and would you recommend them?

Hi usually just frayed edges and surface rust. We had ours Dinitrol treated when it was the same age as yours and there’s a treatment centre in NI on the site here should be worth talking to, http://www.dinitrol.co.uk/treatment_centres.aspx

Hi there, Madasadad just wondering if you ever got your ‘5’ rust treated. ??
My '07 Sport , like yours , looks very rusty underneath and would need some attention.
Thanks, Richard

I just finished understating my mk3 2006 year took 5 cans of dinitrol 4941? And 3 cans of 3125 for sills and cavities also rc90 before undersealing looking better now

I haven’t managed to get it done yet, I was all ready to go before Christmas but the garage was too busy. Now with January being a 6 week month due to an early Christmas pay… Some of the funds seem to have gone! lol still want it done tho so hopefully in the next month or 2

This is something I am thinking about for my Mk1 what price did you get quoted to have it done and where?

I phoned Gary the bloke listed in the post earlier. He said he usually charges £200 but when I told him the extent I wanted, ie wheels off liners out chassis rails etc etc he said it’d be no more than £300

OK, re Gary, where in NI does he operate from, and do you supply the Sealant for him to apply ??
Are you going to Donegal this w/end ?
Thanks Richard
(Belfast area)

Gary is based in Toomebridge, he says it takes 3-4 days and he supplies the materials. Unfortunately I’m not going to Donegal I’m working. I’ll try to get along to a run sometime

I agree to do the job properly and for the person to make a living it will cost in excess of £350. That’s what I paid recently for my Mk3 to be done.

When I told the guy at the body shop that I wanted the car done properly, he was happy to do it but looked at me as if I was a touch strange because it would be dearer that he usually quotes and no one will pay more than that in his opinion.

If you look on the forum people have said they would not pay that price there limit was circa £150.

There car there choice but when I said you are getting the fluid sprayed onto rust and that will not stop it getting worse the basically said “so be it”.

Daft in my opinion.

I treated my MK3 as best I could when I got the car. Grinding back what I could, cleaning, painting, then under sealing and cavity wax. Fingers crossed it’s doing an ounce of good!

Read about what I did here

Hi all, Just had a quote from Dandy Cars in Ilford essex for full rustproofing, underseal. and cavities mk3 £200 . Rustmaster were £295 + vat.

Has anyone else used dandy cars, not sure the extra £150 is worth it.

The underside of mine is pretty good but I would like to keep it that way. I am just finishing off replacing the bushes and painted the back wishbones and anti-roll bar while I was there. The rest could do with a going over but I will do it right and get it power washed first then dry and sand back anything loose before painting. As it stands its just a bit grubby so no point in trying now.
Am interested in what products people have used…

Luckily, my mk2.5 was professionally done early in its life. I have signs of waxoyl everywhere! Even in the bonnet. However, I’ve done this DIY on a couple of Triumphs in the past.

I bought a small compressor from screwfix. Cost me £50. Then… off to frost.co.uk for the Dinitrol and a spray gun that screws onto the Dinitrol cans. It has a 2ft extension hose with “mushroom” spray (sprays in a dome pattern). You insert the hose into cavities and spray whilst slowly withdrawing the hose. It did an excellent job BUT it is messy.

I discovered this, whilst lying on my back in the garage, wondering why the back of my head felt rather damp. I hadn’t seen the puddle of dark Dinitrol gathering behind me.  I can personally tell you… Dinitrol sets VERY well and does not wash off easily!!!

Rustmaster give a warranty and would clean the underside, repair existing rust, then spray with the various chemicals so the way to go in the long term. They have to do that to stop getting warranty claims. You would do this if you are keeping the car for over 5 years.

The other company are doing a cash deal so is there a warranty? Will they spend as much time in the preparation? Only you can tell from questioning both vendors.

The Danday Cars version maybe more suitable for a car that you will get rid off in a few years if the prep job is not as painstaking or maybe after you question them they will be doing the same job.

You need to question Rustmaster first to find out what they do then Dandy Cars second.

Some people would settle for the cheaper version as it is basically what they can afford.

As allways your call!

Thanks for the feed back. I do want to do it but have just spent a bit on the suspension and now it’s back on the road the battery died… Cheap motoring… Lol maybe during the summer or next winter as the car is garaged and doesn’t get out as much as I like.
Don’t suppose you want to do one more lol.

My car Is a 2008 and I was shocked at how bad the bottom looked.

I used was oil, it did the job but the smell was around for ages.