Rustproofing a mx5

Just had to scrap my mk2 because of rust. I have bought a 10 year old mk3. Should I have it rust proofed. What is the best rustproofing product I could not find anything about this on the forum. DIY not possible.

The important thing is to find an honest company to rust proof the car that will clean, repair where there is rust already and apply the rustproofing product.

The product that any competent rust proffer uses is secondary to the prep work they do.

Hint, if you find such a good company do not tell them what product to use from messages you read on an Internet forum.

How rusty is it now and how long do you plan to keep it? That should inform your decision on what and how much to do.

MK3’s do seem to have a lot of surface rust underneath though not necessarily structural.

Wheel arch lips are starting to perforate on some MK3’s which is not too difficult a repair.

I took mine to

https://www.themx5restorer.co.uk/services/rust-prevention/

They give it a good look over and will tell you if there is anything that needs attention before giving it the treatment. I use mine all year so it’s nice to know I’ve at least tried to hold back the tinworm.

1 Like

Had mine done at Krown.co.uk highly recommended :+1:

Thanks for that They look a good company. How ever I have found what might be the best in the UK Before and After in near Rugby.So I have got 2 good options Will have done soon

1 Like

Just looked at the “before and after” website.

It is correct that the owner of that site may well believe he is the best in the UK.

Sorry Alan_F you appear to be easily taken in by the man’s nonsence.

Hi, I had my land rover done at before & after and it was done well and lasted the ten years I had it. Hope this helps, Martyn.

1 Like

Drumtochty I have not been easily taken in by this mans nonsense. Before and After have been in business for many years, they have lots of great feed back from their customers and they offer 5 and 10 year warranties. Why would you say this? Where is your proof?.Beware!! everyone on this forum is not an expert.

1 Like

Imo you can clean under and just go crazy with hammmerite