Rusty Cobalt Silencer. MK3.5

Ordered and fitted November 2019. Car was dry stored December to end February. The car went in for a service today and the garage pointed out corrosion on various tubes on the silencer. See attached photographs. I have e.mailed Moss who have just re-opened, so waiting for a reply, anyone else had the same problem?

194 196 198197

I’ve had mine fitted well over 3 years and recently removed it for underseal work at the rear.
I found it’s wearing pretty well and after a clean up I took some pictures.
It’s not faired too badly, a few pitted marks on the piping but overall in good nick. I cleaned it up before taking the pics.
I’d say yours looks worse than mine did with very little age. Mine is kept in the garage, not a daily driver and sorned from Dec to March usually, I do around 4-5k miles anually.

1 Like

I had an issue with the baffle on my cobalt back box and Moss were fantastic, excellent customer service. Fingers crossed you get similar treatment, it certainly doesn’t look right.

I certainly wouldn’t be happy with that 1954.

My original, standard rear silencer appears to be in better condition after 8 years & 37,000 miles…

3 Likes

I bought a secondhand Cobalt box recently and was a bit surprised by the amount of rust on what is supposed to be stainless steel. I gave it a scrub with stainless steel wire wool using WD40 as a lubricant and this removed most of it. I think that Cobalt (as so do many fabricators I experienced during my engineering life) have fallen into the trap of using the same forming/bending tools on their stainless steel systems as they do for normal mild steel work. You should always keep separate tooling for stainless steel work and mild steel work. If you don’t, the tools pick up particles of mild steel and transfer them to the stainless steel work. The embedded mild steel particles start and cause pitting corrosion of the stainless steel. If you can get rid of these pitting corrosion sites by the method I have suggested then the stainless steel will be able to reform its passive oxide layer and prevent further corrosion.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip re stainless steel wire wool and WD40. I to worked in engineering with stainless steel as our main material for over 40years, and presumed the stainless on the silencer had been contaminated. I will give your suggestion a try.

I sent photographs to Moss but the feed back was not helpful. All they would say is the tubes are a lesser grade of stainless compared to the silencer box. My statement to them was ‘stainless steel should not corrode’ but no more feed back. So not to happy with them at present.

They might as well have said that the tubes were made from mild steel if they are giving that as a reason!

Yup, I got the feeling the guy in their customer service dept had no idea about materials.

I have always had good service from Moss and thought they would replace the silencer once they saw the photographs, especially as the car has only covered 1000 miles max since I fitted the silencer.

Just ordered stainless steel wire wool off ebay, delivery on Saturday, so that’s my Saturday morning sorted.

Good luck with that. I think that they will try to wheedle out of it one way or another.

Don’t let up on them. For the money you pay for these things, that’s a $h!t response.
Good luck