Sabine Schmitz R.I.P

Have just heard that Sabine Schmitz has passed away after battling cancer - Am genuinely shocked at this sad news. I only really remember her for her brilliant appearances on Top Gear - especially driving a Transit van around the Nurburgring nearly as fast as Clarkson could get a Jag round. She was not only a fantastic driver, she was beautiful, kind and just good fun - Also very able to mock Clarkson in the nicest possible way…!
R.I.P Sabine - “Queen of the Nurburgring”

17 Likes

What a wonderful person she was. Just watched that piece again. Clarkson won a challenge, against a woman, and didn’t gloat. She made history.

R.I.P. Sabine.

9 Likes

Been a fan of Sabine for a wee while. I’d heard she was fighting cancer and that she’d had a brief period of remission but it’s come back and it wasn’t looking good. An utter legend, she was. What a terrible loss to, not only the motoring world, but the world in general. Rest in Peace, Queen of Nurburgring :heart:

9 Likes

Tragic news and I have to admit I didn’t know she was ill. She was a fantastic personality and great fun as well as a superb driver. I only wish she had been on TV more. She will be sorely missed.

6 Likes

Yup, but what she did was quality stuff and such fun.

6 Likes

Very sad news, as others have said, I wasn’t aware of her being ill. RIP.

Barrie

5 Likes

sad news , she seemed great fun … :pleading_face:

2 Likes

Two wonderful Motorsport personalities in a week, this just isn’t fair.

She was a wonderful lady and a fantastic racer. She added a much needed boost to the Top Gear line-up.

R.I.P. Sabine.

5 Likes

Terribly sad. I hadn’t known she was ill. A great fun and charismatic TV personality as well as a highly talented racer.

5 Likes

Slightly faster van and she’d have done it

2 Likes

Very sad news. I had no idea she’d been living with cancer, so it was a bit of a shock this morning when the news of her loss broke. :disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

Hard to absorb when one so young, talented, vibrant, intelligent is so cruelly taken.
Even at 90-odd Murray was so sad & bad enough but Sabine had so much to offer yet for decades hence. A petrol heads pin-up as well.
And, she drove the “Fastest Tranny in the West!” Takes a bit of doing to burn out a Tranny’s ABS I’d wager.
That was priceless…but then so was Sabine.
Night night…sleep tight.

6 Likes

If only she’d had another belt to take off!!

1 Like

Very sad, she was a great driver. YouTube of her driving the M5 Ring taxi is epic.
Hopefully they name a corner on the Nordschleife after her.

2 Likes

So so Sad :frowning:

Taken way to soon , I saw her flying in the ring taxi a few times was awesome to watch , rest well

Still in shock that Sabine has gone - so posted this to show, once again, her wonderful talent…

5 Likes

Such a warm, hilarious and beautiful talent. Taken way too soon

Even though I hadn’t seen here since Old Top Gear… I had to take a double-take when reading of her passing away… I didn’t know about her illness…! Only the good die young…!

1 Like

Just imagine all the amazing cars she’s gonna get to drive up in the clouds :blush: Tragic loss and totally unfair but at least her suffering is over now. She’ll be sorely missed, though

1 Like