Sainsbury petrol, Kings Lynn £150.9

Cheapest I’ve seen it recently, Cambs, Norfolk, Birmingham

Result!

Our Asda (Derby) now 150.7, two days earlier I stuck £40 worth in @159.7😒

Scottish Borders - Coldstream Esso station £143.9. Always the cheapest in this area. Nearly always beats the supermarket prices.

1 Like

In N Staffs the independents are cheaper than Tesco by 5-10p. £1.51 is typical.

Isn’t is sad that we think £1.50 is good :frowning::face_with_spiral_eyes::man_shrugging:

Devils advocate here…

My closest petrol station (Morrisons which is 1 mile away) has these prices:
1.599 £/L - Petrol E5
1.529 £/L - Petrol E10
1.759 £/L - Diesel

To put 40L E5 in my MX5 will cost me £63.96

The cheapest petrol station within 15 miles is one in Dudley which is 25 miles round trip and about an hours drive in total. Their prices are:
1.416 £/L - Petrol E5
1.396 £/L - Petrol E10
1.646 £/L - Diesel

To put 40L E5 in my MX5 at this petrol station will cost me £56.64 however…
My car does 31.2mpg or 6.863 miles per litre. If you do the calculation this equates to 0.232 £/mile
This means this trip will cost me another £5.82 If I fuelled up at my local or if we assume we have used the cheaper fuel this is £5.15

Therefore total cost would be £62.46 (£1.50 cheaper) or £61.80 (£2.16 cheaper) and about an hours driving.

I cant be asked to be honest…

Have you got your E10 & E5 prices correct?
If correct we are being right royally ripped off in my area, E5 or as I call 97 ron at Sainsbury’s is usually + 8p ish over E10 petrol.

1 Like

Yup… and Yup… (had the labels wrong but the prices are right)

You can check it yourself https://www.petrolprices.com

They also have an app

Also for a bit of fun you can use ChatAI to solve the problem - it got it wrong every single time :joy:

https://chat.openai.com/chat

I tried these two inputs, it still gives me wrong results but its quite fun to see the thing working…

My car does 31.2 miles per gallon, and 1 gallon is 4.54609 litres. Petrol station A is 2 miles round trip and sells fuel at £1.599 per litre. Petrol station B is 25 miles round trip and sells fuel at £1.416 per litre. I want to put 40 litres of fuel in my car. Which petrol station is the cheapest and by how much? Explain your reasoning and calculations, use litres in your calculations.

My car fuel consumption is 31.2 miles per gallon and 1 gallon is 4.54609 litres. Petrol station A is 1 miles away and sells fuel at £1.599 per litre. Petrol station B is 12.5 miles away and sells fuel at £1.416 per litre. I want to fill up my car with 40 litres of fuel. Which petrol station is the cheapest and by how much? Explain your reasoning and calculations. In your calculations use litres and consider the distance and costs associated to travel to each petrol station and back.

£150 a liter? I’m leaving.

I just filled the Jag V8 with £98 of the good stuff.

£1.507 at the Asda just off J2 of the M5.

So that’s roughly 10p a mile in fuel duty and VAT. I’m sure someone can give an exact figure but, if they introduce road pricing, that’s about what we’ll pay when we have to drive electric (with government tracking devices)

if they ever introduce anything like that my question is “when” will brits will wake up and stop rolling over. I’m not a brit & I ain’t doing that (either buying an electric kettle or put tracking devices in my car)

£139.9 for e10 at our local Costco in Coventry.

Hi Jeff

Dropped in at my former employers yesterday in Peterborough, the Esso Garage in Padholme Road was selling E10 at £1.43.9ppl, which is by far the cheapest I have seen in many, many months.

Rugby still has one of the highest prices in Warwickshire £156.9 to (£165.9 for shell reg or £171.9 Vpower)

There must have been some profiteering. I use heating oil and it tends to lag behind crude prices but follows roughly the same trend.

My heating oil was 100p a litre in mid October, 80p at the start of December and 90p now (it always goes up just before Christmas)