Sanyo fitted head unit with Tomtom

1. My model of MX-5 is: _Mk3 _
  2. I’m based near: __
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __Tomtom fitted in a factory fitted Sanyo

I am asking on behalf of a friend.
His factory fitted Sanyo head unit with Tomtom loaded as standard is doing a strange thing it doesn’t seem to recognise which way the car is pointing.
Anyone else had that problem?
Surely it has to do with the antenna hasn’t it?
Any advice would be good
Thanks

If the car is at rest, the satnav won’t know in which direction it is pointed; You need a compass for that.

If it is moving, and assuming movement is being reflected onscreen, it could be that the screen is in a “North up” mode. There is almost certainly an arrow visible towards the left of the screen, about 2/3rds up it. If your friend touches that (assuming it’s a touchscreen), it should switch to a “head up” mode.

I run TomTom through Car Play in the MX-5. I can achieve the same action by rotating the main dial and selecting the arrow. In fact, that’s all I can do, once the car is in motion!

Like this stationary picture, but same when moving. Direction arrow can point in random direction 80% of the time, resulting in driver not being shown what is actually ahead.
Satellite signal strength seems to be fine.
Do these nav head units have a built-in compass, or do they calculate direction of travel from the GPS data???

GPS and GPRS. The GPS receiver is mounted on the top rear of the unit. The GPRS (Vodofone sim) receiver is under the centre console.

Another clue… speed is showing as 0mph, even when driving!

Most manufacturers require a subscription for their satnav units. Since a GPS signal is clearly being received, could it be that no account has been set-up and that this is causing correct operation to be suspended?

I don’t recognise this as current firmware - could this also be an issue?

Has your friend tried giving it a destination?

I have a completely different set up (aftermarket head unit) and I use android auto with the Waze app. Mine was doing a similar thing the other day, couldn’t work out why until I realised somehow the location service had been turned off.
Have you got similar on the unit?

I’ve never heard of an in car or standalone sat nav requiring a subscription to work. You may need a subsription to get map updates and traffic data.

I had this unit in my NC and although it is slow, I never had an issue with it not working.

1 Like

No subscription just pay TomTom if you want map updates.
Took mine out 2 weeks ago (as others have done).

I believe it to be a software issue

Does anyone know how to access the hidden Service Menu for this unit please? I need to know what signals it is, or isn’t, receiving from the internal sensors. Not referring to satellite strength bars.

Might be a daft question but have you tried the reset procedure. I have had this kind of weird behaviour on mine before and a reset sorted it. The manual for the sanyo tomtom is widely available online and may offer more insight into updates for firmware etc.
See this for example Mazda NVA-SD8110 EU navigation problems — TomTom Community

I would agree entirely with the reset. If you delve into the unknown and **** it up you can buy mine. :wink::joy:

1 Like

I agree that subscriptions have been for map updates and traffic with some (especially older) stand-alone units and, I suspect, most built-in systems.