Sat-Nav Stopped Working

1. My model of MX-5 is: ND
  2. I’m based near: Norfolk
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: Sat Nav

Hi all. Sat-nav been working perfectly and now I’ve just been getting a loading screen for the best part of 30 mins. I’ve tried the old off and on again, as well as ensuring that the SD card is inserted correctly but no joy. When I turn the ignition off, it comes up with a message saying that the SD card is not inserted, even though it is! Any tips gratefully received.

Try this courtesy of Roadie.

To reset the unit needs to be turned on. Hold down Mute, Back arrow and Nav for around ten seconds after which the screen will go blank and the unit will reboot. It will not lose any of your presets and personal settings.

When the screen goes blank do not worry about the hissing noise from the speakers. The audio option is turned on and FM is selected as part of the reset and it will almost certainly be a frequency with no transmission. What you are hearing is the sound of FM white noise not your MZD frying itself.
:heart:

1 Like

Also check the SD card doesn’t have the lock slider on the side locked.

This would prevent the car reading the SD card.

Two possibilities:

1. A bit fluff is in blocking one or more of the contacts between card and socket.
    A mini vac can help here, if this is the case.
  2. The card is walking wounded or has incomplete files.
    Use a PC to immediately copy all of it to a folder on the PC AND to another bigger faster FAT32 card. Chances are the Mazda card is only 8GB and almost full, and if an update has been applied, maybe over full. A 16GB card is ample, and it is what I did with mine on the Mazda3 after the last free update I downloaded was too big… Still working two years later, and still a pain…

When handling the SD Cards, never, ever touch the contacts; it is possible to zap them.

I had a dead SD card in my ND replaced by Mazda FOC under used car warranty. When I bought the car my infotainment kept resetting itself and the map wouldn’t load. Removing the SD card made the infotainment behave better, IIRC. I tried manually updating the old card using my PC but the software had trouble reading it.

As I’d only just bought the car, I went back to the dealer. Mazda first updated the infotainment software, but it didn’t fix the navigation issue. The dealer then ordered a replacement SD card, which resolved it.

I thought that I’d mention this in case yours is under warranty to save you some time fighting with it. Good luck.

1 Like

Thanks all for the replies, much appreciated. It’s now sorted itself out and is working perfectly! It managed to get me all the way to Caffeine and Machine in time for food!

1 Like