SCAM Warning - TV Licence

Just received a TV Licence failed direct debit notice. I have to say, it was near perfect.

I clicked on the sender and it wasn’t anything like a real address, being an individual in Italy that had their I.d. stolen.

The text / layout was superb and even had links to the real licencing site etc. It asked you to click on “Renew Your Licence” which will take you to a place where it will stuck all your financial details out of you and empty your bank.

Interestingly, when I investigated the link (taking precautions) it bought up a Chrome warning which was impressive as it looks like scamming support in the browser is getting better.

It has been reported to Govt scamming site.

|480x831.75

|480x317.25

4 Likes

I’ve had a couple of these in the past, in both cases the giveaway was the expiry date they gave of the licence. Mine expires (do they all) at the end of a month not mid month :thinking:

Scammers :frowning:

They wont catch me on that anyway i dont have a TV licence as i use streaming services only and dont watch or record live TV

Good warning for others thou as the letter does look the part .

1 Like

I am reliably informed that people are also now getting texts and emails asking them to register for energy rebates. These include fees.

Do not respond to any unsolicited texts or emails about energy payments.

1 Like

Still need a TV license for that in the uk, if you are watching Channels streamed as live

You sure?
If you watch or record TV on any channel via any TV service (e.g. Sky, Virgin, Freeview, Freesat), you need to be covered by a TV Licence.

If you watch live on streaming services (e.g. ITV Hub, All 4, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, Now, Sky Go), or use BBC iPlayer*, you need to be covered by a TV Licence.

You don’t need a TV Licence if you never watch live on any channel, TV service or streaming service, or use BBC iPlayer*. On any device.

1 Like

Yeah just edited to reflect live channels as streamed. Learn something every day!

Further clarification, you don’t need to be watching to need a TV licence - if you record off air as it’s broadcast e.g. on a Humax then I believe you need a licence (as you say in your first paragraph). I think it used to be called a receiving licence, maybe it still is.

I get a letter from them every coouple of weeks saying things like “Investigation Started”

I’ve not had a TV licence for years and years and no intention of getting one - wouldn’t give them the money.

They’ve no right of entry unless they have a police officer with them and a warrant and even if you have a TV it has to be on and receiving a picture - I’ve two pints of milk inthe fridge but I don’t own a cow - prove I own one!

I.m alos on the 3rd/top floor in a close with controlled entry - they’ve no chance of etting in th eclose in the first place!

Buy one if you want, I choose not to, for variouos reasons!

1 Like

So you don’t watch any BBC programmes I assume ?

1 Like

I watch whatever I chose on whatever channel I chose - I also use streams form the intenet from various sites.
One example reason for not paying is the drivel they spout about Scotland another would be the London and England-centric nature of their news progs - when was the last time you saw anything about Scottish foottie as an end sgement? always plenty about England and cricket, but Scotland, Wales and N Ireland completely ignored. Gary Linaker gets paid more than they spend on specific Scottish programing. Again coverage about the NHS is about that in England and ignores the Scottish NHS which is a separate entity. The recent mini-budget (really a robbery in disguise) didn’t cover how it differentially affects Scotland.
Then there’s the recent coverage that put North Korea to shame - programes cancelled on TV and radio, and 24 hr coverage of a royal death - what abour all those people who are having to choose between heating and eating? To ignore them in favour of a family I consider parasites is just wrong.

Who pays for the BBC wold service beamed across the world? Does the rest of teh world pay for it? Similarly the BBC website is accessible across the world - why should only UK licence payers pay for that?

I could go on and on and on about it, but think you get the jist of it!

1 Like

So you watch the BBC ,and justify not paying for it by professing not to like its content ? But I assume you are comfortable about other people paying for it , so that you can be rude about it?

As for your comments , last time I checked there were more people in Yorkshire than Scotland , but I don’t lose too much sleep over the BBC’s lamentably poor coverage of the Masham Sheep Fair .

6 Likes

Just for you.

And breathe…
It’s never bothered me one bit I’m a minority Scot in fact it makes me feel quite proud to be one.
Travelled the world, always welcomed anywhere. Of course "we " will be marginalised. Believe me, having spent years working in NI, they know how to spell it better than anyone.
Suck it up, turn the other cheek.

Hi Jeff,

Thread has taken an odd turn - thanks for your heads up warning… much appreciated.

Back on topic everybody else?

Cheers!

3 Likes

We choose to pay out licence for peace of mind.
We pay a quarterly DD and we don’t notice it.
We can afford it.
At aged 70 we don’t need threats in the post no matter how enforceable or not.
I stream a lot off BBC Iplayer like David Attenborough stuff, and historical stuff so for me it’s reasonable value.
Also, don’t forget all the radio programmes.
I do think however the salary deals paid to a lot of sporting journo types is utterly beyond a joke.

Was thinking the same thing, wondered if the thread should be closed as it went off-piste!

3 Likes

I do have a TV license but I’m watching less on BBC channels than ever.

What does bug me is that even if I chose only to watch commercial channels I still have to pay the license fee which goes to the BBC. I buy my groceries from Tesco and Lidl. I don’t have to pay a fee to Waitrose for the benefit of those who choose to shop there.

I’m in agreement with Mike on the coverage of the Queen’s death. I did choose to watch some of the coverage but don’t see any need for simultaneous coverage on BBC1, BBC2 and BBC News. Either BBC1 or BBC2 plus signed coverage on the news channel would have been enough.

Worth noting that the BBC is no longer London centric. Much of the programming is now produced in Salford. That’s why most of the political interviews are done via video link, from London. :wink: