Scottish Highland Solstice Fling 18 to 21 June 2010

Excuse my butting in. I shall be with you in spirit having been a little further south of your destination only 4 weeks ago.
I stayed in Ft William (lochabar) and spent a couple of days enjoying the roads in that area and on Skye and back to Ft William from the Kyle of Lochalsh via Glengarry.

Bet. FW and Mallaig

&

From Lochabar looking up at Ben and pals

I hope you’ll all have a great time ( KNOW you will) and that the weather is as kind as it was to me.
And hope you didn’t mind my wee indulgence.

Cheers Cool

Hi Glenis,

So far 5 cars and an additional 2 not committed yet. Please spread the word down in the sunny south.

Yes, plan is to still meet upCar at Balmoral or Pitlochory with further meet in Inverness. On the Monday the plan is to have a different route south terminating at Pitlochory, which is a good location for a visit if that helps with your plans.Beer

Thank you for the encouraging feed back on the area.  Excellent photographs, thank you.Thumbs up

Ali G…

Are you still thinking of joining us? 

SCOTTISH HIGHLAND SOLSTICE FLING – 2010

FLING AND SETS PROGRAM 

DAY 1 - FRIDAY 18 JUNE

Clan Charge Fling - Route to Ullapool meeting, timing as agreed but not later than 4pm,  a Balmoral. ETA  9-10pm

DAY 2 - SATURDAY 19 JUNE

Haggis Hunt Fling - Route to Torridon

Torridon Inn lunch and Haggis Hunt Competition - Archery & Clay Shoot which requires booking at £45/person. Interested, then please advise so a booking can be made.

Chomraich Fling - Route to Applecross

Dinner at the Applecross Inn…  This requires to be booked for 6pm or 8pm. I propose to book for 8pm as the next run takes in the night sun.

Solstice Fling - Return route to Ullapool ETA 

DAY 3 - SUNDAY 20 JUNE

White Lille Fling - Classic route as enjoyed at last  years event with stops on the way with coffee/lunch at the Summer Isles Inn and tea/dinner at the Kylesk Inn. 

Ullapool for a supper and entertainment at the Ceilidh Place. (dependent on demand approx. 8-10pm. please advise as may need a booking)

DAY 4 - MONDAY 21 JUNE

Clan Retreat Fling - Route back to the south taking in Fort Augustus and ending in Pitlochory. Aiming for a 8am start time.

Notes:

1. Timings to be confirmed but will be flexible out with bookings.

2. Please advise if you want to take part in the Haggis Hunt Competition £45/person.

3. Routes may be modified.

4. Any suggestions or questions are welcome.

5. http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=103997633704376743413.000481d8a123fa3ce3014&z=8

Graham K

I am afraid I’m still a ditherer. House move coming up so available spare time spoken for !

Hi Flingers,

Little more than 8 weeks to go before this Scottish Experience. Yesterday I did a recce  run up to Ullapool, with other local Members on a Area run from North of Scotland North, thanks to the organisation of Martin Pawsey the area AC. 
It was a fantastic day out. I have now covered all but one section of the proposed routes and this will thus be a discovery process for us all. I still have a degree
of organisation on pit-stops, must come up with a more appropriate name, I know we will call them "Fly"- Stop ("A fly cup of tea" - in this case "fly" means illicit or surreptitious, in most cases includes a wee nip sneaked in the brew). 

Please note and advise ASAP if you are interested in the "Haggis Hunt"/ Archery/Clay shoot, at the Torridon Inn
on the Saturday as this will need to be booked at a cost of £45/person although hoping to get a group discount.
Likewise interest in the light supper meal at the Pub, http://www.theceilidhplace.com/
on the Sunday evening.

This would be just a light traditional dish and should not be too expensive.
I would also like to know what the earliest time Timeyou can make the respective RV's. on the Friday of:
Balmoral- for those from the south
Inverness- for those from the north.
With these timings I can coordinate the start time on the Friday. The earlier we can get started the better but it should be no
later than 4pm from Balmoral and 8pm from Inverness. This takes into account a meal stop for those from the South as the 
time to Ullapool is 3-4 hours with Fly-stops (pit-stops). I have/would allow an hour for this and propose the Craggan Mill:
Outside Grantown on Spey with a set menu of fresh Scottish fair from as little as £25 for 2 courses. See website for samples but this changes every day
dependent on what is freshly available.  This will also need advance notice please but is only applicable for the late start . If we meet up 
much earlier in the day it could be a lunch stop. Or we can eat else where. 
Please post here and email. Beer

There is now less than 5 weeks before this event. For those whom might be interested in learning more about the area I would recommend a viewing of the following book by Cameron McNeish and Richard Else:

THE SUTHERLAND TRAIL

A journey through north-west Scotland.

Please contact me if you have any concerns or need more information.

Just come back from the Fling.

We’d like to thank Graham for organising the event.  It was disappointing that others didnt arrive but we had a good time all the same.  Our friends Lyn and Dave and ourselves travelled up from South Wales on Wednesday to join Graham on Friday morning.  We saw some stunning sights and drove over some wonderful routes including the highest mountain pass in Britain.  The weather was great on the Friday and Saturday but Sunday started off drizzly and changeable until the afternoon.  Hopefully Graham will post some of the photographs he took so that you can all see what a good trip it was.  We then continued our holiday until the following Wednesday and by the time we arrived home had done 1614 miles!!!

Thanks again to Graham who put in a lot of work to prepare routes etc.

Glenis and Philip

Black Mk1 SE(First Edition) BBR Turbo

Thank you Glenis,

Yes I will be putting a few pics here and link to the others…  once I have edited through the 300 I took. 

For those who could not make it on the day I am going to do a one day event, on a mutually agreed day, taking in just the “White Lillie Fling” which is just a stunning driving experience both demanding but also so stimulating along with different but surprising close quarter scenery compared with the open stunning vista of the “CHOMRAICH FLING”.

The SHSF will be on for 2011 over the weekend nearest the longest day, 17-20 June 2011, so it would be helpful if you could send me or email your feedback with any aspects you feel could be addressed from a objective viewpoint.

I myself clocked up 860 miles over the 4 days plus some new acquaintances through the membership of our club. Looking forward to meeting up again at other MX-5 OC meets.

Thanks again to all those who participated and maybe see you next year even if it is only for one of the runs. Beer

Sorry folks but have not been able to either copy or insert any of my photo’s here as the software does not permit or allow for some reason. 

To view the pictures please go to: 

http://snurl.com/shsf2010photos

These are not the highest resolution. If you see any you particularly like and would like the full resolution version then let me know please.

HI Graham
Just to say i thoroughly enjoyed your photos.
The trip looked fantastic.

And good to see Y Ddraig Coch flying Thumbs up

Thank you Beer… and you are welcome… as you are to join in next year if you are thinking of heading this way.  Plan is nearest week-end to Solstice although as this is nearing mid week now may  make the w/e after. No sunbathing Cool though I am afraid … demanding Shockbut absolute MX-5 fun drives along with all the other benefits of the far North of Scotland.  Storm Cloud !!!

Thank you, Graham.
This is definitely something that shall be marked up as a distinct possibility.Plenty of notice to organise time off and save up a few pennies.

Thumbs up

OK… that would be great.  If you email me or pm so I have your email I will put you on the list of Flingers so keep you updated. Note though you are not an official Flinger until you’ve been a Flinging and follow the Clan quest.