Seat belt guide

1. My model of MX-5 is: NC 3.5
  2. I’m based near: MORAY
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: I’ve seen a new shape of seat belt guide to help the seat belt retraction problem.
    si4864sml
    Apart from washing the belt in soapy water, has anyone actually cut away the seat belt guide part I’ve outlined in my picture. With that part removed it would be similar to that from mx5 parts. To me it seems any easy enough job ensuring no sharp edges are left of course

Any advice ? Thank you.

I would say more here as a cut looking at the other part, but i would’nt have an issue to just cut it and then either leave a bit extra on so it can be heated up and bent down to stop sharp edges on the belt or similar …
b02a27830739d23da80737e06fa0be70e03c131f_2_375x500
M-m

1 Like

I have fitted the new style ones.

I believe the main benefit comes from the wider area that the belt rubs against when fitted.
f98d1f9a5d4857b8e3bf0a02c6669f7e1f6cc915

1 Like

Hoq well do they work - total cure??

Worked for me :+1:

Gave my belts a good clean, which did improve things slightly, but swapping over to the new guide completely sorted it. Well worth it if you are having trouble with it.

1 Like

As JWithi has said - clean belts and the new guides has completely sorted it.

Thanks for the good replies. Ive cleaned it and seems better but I’ll consider the new guides as well.

Once cleaned spray the full belt with silicone lube. This will make a huge difference.

What about dust and dirt sticking to the belt after spraying the belt

It’s a dry lube. Once the carrier’s evaporated you can’t tell it’s there apart from the increased slippiness. It does help.

1 Like

I’ve cleaned mine which helped somewhat. I then fitted the new guides, which helped again. But the drivers side is still a bit lazy in my opinion. I’ve tried in the past to blag an old belt as I’ve an idea for a fix.

I have an NC1 and I’ve previously cleaned and lubed the seat belt but they were still quite lazy in retracting and when driving and I would occasionally have to pull more belt out and let it retract to get any tension against my body. This is the original profile belt guide (passenger side*).

I’ve now reprofiled the driver’s side guide using a junior hacksaw, a file and a couple of grades of emery for a smooth finish. This is the new profile (driver’s side) -

and this is it in use -

The belt now retracts much more freely and I can feel a constant slight tension against my body. Although it looks though it might, the belt hasn’t shown any inclination to escape through the gap at the right hand side.

• The thing about me and before / after pics is I always forget to take the “before” :grinning:
1 Like