Seat swap on mk1

This me just thinking aloud.
I know people say it’s impossible to swap the driver and passenger seats on a mk1 but has anyone tried? Is it not possible due to seatbelt mounts or are they a different shape? I can’t check mine as the car’s elsewhere.
As I say just thinking aloud.
D

If you mean can you put a passenger seat in the drivers side the answer is No they are different

Nothing is impossible. You will probably find you need to drill the floor.

A straight swap is not possible. There is a way if you are prepared to take the seats apart. You can use the passenger seat back cover on the stripped off driver’s seat back. The passenger seat back is a fraction narrower that the drivers seat back, but it fits and is better that that worn bolster.
For the seat swab, you swap the seat cover with the foam from the passenger seat. There are a few cuts to make but they are all hidden once the seat is assembled. Before and after photo’s.

1 Like

Thanks for that.
Another thought, though I think the cost would be more expensive than a retrim. Would the passengers seat from a LHD car from europe fit as a drivers seat in a RHD car?

Hi,
People often sell a pair of used seats with a badly worn drivers seat but decent passenger seat and usually they don’t cost a lot. Helps if you can pick them up locally. Re-reading my post, I’ll clarify 2 points.
1 you can swap the passenger seat base cover and ffoam onto the driver’s seat metal Base.
2 I used cable ties instead of the ‘hog rings’.

Yes, but some caveats, as I think you have a 1994 Eunos Roadster 1.8:

1. Unless the donor European 1.8 was an import from the US, the European 1.8 seat is the same as a UK 1.8 seat; seperate head rest.
  2. Pre-1.8 seats have a different cloth weave and won’t match the 1.8 high back
  3. Belly pans are different on early cars; if you fit an early seat to a later car, you need to fit the transmission tunnel mounted seat belt latches. You can fit late belly pans to early seats, but a lump of foam needs to be cut out. Easy to do, and as mentioned, use cable ties.

The main wear is to the upper cover bolster. If you can swap that out, and its a fair job to do, you will end up with a cover with exposed foam on the inboard side. It will look ■■■■.

Thanks for the replies everyone. As I said I was only thinking aloud and hopefully there’s a few years left in my seats, it’s only the drivers bolster that is starting to show a bit of wear. Maybe I’ll just get a seat cover to protect it.
D.

There was this product, from a long defunct company called “Serious Auto”, called the “Seat Saver”

They used to slip behind the centre section and the ends attach behind the seat.

Another version called “Bolster Saver”

photo 2

1 Like

The ones in the top picture look nice but I guess no longer available.

But easy to reproduce…