Second generation Honda Jazz 1.3/1.4 manual

I’m considering a second gen Honda Jazz as a dog car. Probably cars from around 2012 - 2014 and it would be a 1.4 manual (the 1339cc engine that you also see listed as a 1.3). Does anyone have experience with them, good or bad? The flexibility of the rear seat is one of the main attractions because it should give me lots of options to transport two people, a large dog, and plenty of luggage.

Do they rust like MX-5s and, if so, anywhere in particular?

Thanks

1 Like

I don’t have a Jazz, but I have 2010 Civic with the same engine. It’s been a solid little car for the last 8 years, and the only thing other than the usual consumable items have been rear shocks, and front droplinks. The body is still solid, and there’s no rust (that I know about!). It’s notable that the wheel wells are lined with plastic over the previous gen, which did rust out on the arches and then creep forward into the sills, which was usually terminal by the time you noticed it. I don’t think the Jazz has the same liners, so might be worth checking.
You really do have to set your expectations with the engine, though. In short, it wouldn’t pull the skin off a rice pudding. There is 100 horses in there, supposedly, but like most Hondas, you have to wring its neck before it wakes up, has a yawn, and thinks about going faster. If, like me, you’re not in that much of a hurry, it bimbles about town happily enough, and you can do a steady 70 on the motorway at around 50+ mpg if you baby it. If you want to stomp on the gas to overtake, you can pretty much forget about it unless you have plenty of space and make it scream.
That aside, there’s a reason they’ve sold so many of them. A friend has a Jazz, and absolutely loves it. For general runabout purposes, they’re great.

2 Likes

I’ve had a couple as loan cars while my Civic was in for a service, the engine would struggle in a Civic, but it’s fine in the Jazz.

1 Like

Hi Mikey
The wife has had 2 Honda Jazz’s, no nonsense reliable cars. Ideal dog cars, like a tardis, the greyhound fits in the boot fine, and magic seats mean plenty of head room when folded flat. She has had her 2012 for 7 years & it is on 95,000 miles, never had an advisory on the MOT. Other than servicing & Tyres, it’s had 1 set of brakes front & back, I fitted new washer jets last year ( plastic mist type clog) & a new mirror glass because the heater packed up. No rust yet. Does over 50mpg with normal driving, 1.4 engine is fine for its class & is Vtec, so comes alive at 3500 revs. Highly recommended
Regards
Mark

1 Like

:grinning: We have a greyhound! Thanks for the feedback - this is exactly what I was hoping would be the case. I may go to look at one tomorrow.

1 Like

I had a look at an EX with leather and the panoramic roof. Nice car, but it had some odd paint damage on the A pillars either side of the windscreen. There was lots of service history, but it wasn’t clear what had actually been done (I can see that it’s a variable schedule). Decided to give it a miss and keep looking as there are lots of them around.

The seat system is good and should do what I’m looking for but I was surprised that the floor isn’t completely flat in the back, given that it’s FWD.

1 Like

We owned the MK1 for several years and was good.
The rear floor did go flat from memory and was nippy and very reliable.
The MK2 …… was rather a disappointment to be honest.
Test drove one in 2015.
Roomy and practical, but noisy and well under powered and that was the wife!
Had this as a loan car for two weeks last September and the same.
The colour made it even worse!
Each to their own of course.

I think that the load space will be flat with the seats folded forwards. I also hoped that the rear passenger footwell would be flat all the way across rather than having a hump in the middle. It isn’t a dealbreaker for me.

The third generation car got a 1.5 litre engine in 2018 which gives it a bit more poke.

2 Likes

Hi
Ours is the ES, magic seats have loads of settings but do fold flat & low, but there is a boot lip, our greyhound fits without folding seats. Windscreen surround is prone to jet wash damage from hand car washes, I have used touch up afew times. Servicing can be variable or annually, it is very simple, oil change 1 yr or 12500 miles, air filter & cabin filter 2 years or 25,000 miles, brake fluid 3 years, Iridium spark plugs & manual trans fluid 75,000 miles, coolant 10 years. Edit no fuel filter
Regards
Mark

The models I have driven had the 1.3 (1.4) which would be the engine you were thinking of getting based on a 2012-14 model.

All I can suggest is take one out on an extended drive perhaps and if it suits job done. :+1:

PS, I forgot to add that the dog is the most important factor in this, as I like dogs! :wink:

1 Like

Jazz magic seats were perfect for our two Labradors when they were getting on in age. Recommended. Car not quick but adequate and economical.

Thanks for all the replies, they were very helpful. In the end I blew the budget and have just bought a third gen 1.5 Sport :laughing:

2 Likes

Good colour, better engine and spec and the dogs will enjoy a little scream about now and again. :wink:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.